Thread: 2003 Cummins tune

Potential Tuner moparblood@gmail.com's Avatar

2003 Cummins tune

I wanted to get some input on my tune. I have rebuilt this engine for maximum performance. I am experienced tech but new to tunning. What some of my problems are the labels. Like "pedal map transient state" is this graph what the ecm uses to start the calculation for mm3 fueling? My problem is excessive smoke on throttle tip in. when boost comes up, it cleans up nicely, but having a hard time finding a balance for performance and drivability with limiting the smoke output. I want to upgrade the Mvp as soon as it comes out, I have installed a wideband o2 sensor and I know it will be perfect in fine tuning it after I graph it but for now, I have to guess until I can add the o2 to the pro feature mpv3... I have included the latest tune. I mostly tow with this truck... Here is the engine. 03 5.9L nv5600 manual, 410 gears. rebuilt and starting from the bottom is oem crank, Carrillo rods, tool steel wrist pin. oem coated, chamfered pistons, Gorilla girdle all arp studs. fire ringed block&head, 1mm oversized valves, hardened seats, 103# springs, 7/16 push rods, dlc coated trunnion's, ported head, colt stage 3 cam, dlc tappets, all cryogenic. 150% over injectors, 12mm stroker pump, compound turbos. 64/71/12-0.70ar over s480. fleece dual in-tank pumps and coolant bypass. remote oil filter with 2-quart external oil cooler. oem exhaust brake, afe 3 core radiator, banks intercooler and intake. It has what it takes to push it, now I just need a tune that has all the power I want but not too much that I cant tow with it. Anyone's experience in the 03 platform would be very much appreciated. Injector timing is a wonder to me. the oem has the middle rpm and fueling retarded quite a bit. Wondering if its because the "built in egr" in the oem cam profile. I "shouldn't have to go aggressive with timing due to the 150% injectors and with the colt stage 3 cam, should I make the entire timing profile advanced? thanks again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

for the names, some will take some time but for transient vs low, low would be normal mode and trans is if whacked the throttle fast. i set them the same.
    i see you have the pulse limiter on as well, I like to get into the rail psi sooner which will fore the shorter pulses of fuel, pedal map is pulled back as well and i'd run the boost vs fuel map to limit fuel while ramping in to control smoke
    made some changes in here for you, timing is much higher but start there and pull it back as needed. you'll also need to log fuel psi and adjust the pump as needed
    Attachment 124145
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Potential Tuner moparblood@gmail.com's Avatar
    thanks for the input and help, much appreciated. I was wondering about the timing, I wasn't sure how much to push it under extreme towing. didn't want cylinder pressures too high... my last engine cracked pistons. but it had many many miles of hard towing on those pistons..