Thread: Laps and lap times from Garmin Edge 530 (cycling crit race)

Potential Tuner

Laps and lap times from Garmin Edge 530 (cycling crit race)

Hi all,

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere but I did search for answers in the forum without success and I have spent a while fiddling with the software to work it out, again with no success.

Here's my situation: .fit file from a Garmin Edge 530 which was recording a "crit" cycling race. There was 10 minutes of no activity waiting at the start line then 30 minutes of racing during which there were about 12 laps of the same course covered. I am able to display a track map successfully as well as display speed and cadence, all data coming from the same .fit file.

What I cannot do and would like to do is:
    1) I cannot get the start/finish line to display on the track map. I used the default track map. In the display object properties box I have checked the box for "Mark start/finish". I also changed the values in the "start/finish line size" and "start/finish line length" field but that does not seem to help. I clicked on the input file configuration button and clicked the "set start finish line" button to make sure it was showing correctly (which it was) - when I did this it changed the lap number field to "manual".

2) I cannot get it to display the lap numbers and the lap times. I have used the default "Lap List - 10". The lap data does not exist in the garmin fit file but should be able to be calculated from all the gps location data in the file. I have tried changing the field from "time" (which seems to be the default) to "GPS_Update" and to "lattitude" and to "longitude" but that does not help.

Thanks, Lloyd

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ldavies View Post
    Hi all,

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere but I did search for answers in the forum without success and I have spent a while fiddling with the software to work it out, again with no success.

Here's my situation: .fit file from a Garmin Edge 530 which was recording a "crit" cycling race. There was 10 minutes of no activity waiting at the start line then 30 minutes of racing during which there were about 12 laps of the same course covered. I am able to display a track map successfully as well as display speed and cadence, all data coming from the same .fit file.

What I cannot do and would like to do is:
    1) I cannot get the start/finish line to display on the track map. I used the default track map. In the display object properties box I have checked the box for "Mark start/finish". I also changed the values in the "start/finish line size" and "start/finish line length" field but that does not seem to help. I clicked on the input file configuration button and clicked the "set start finish line" button to make sure it was showing correctly (which it was) - when I did this it changed the lap number field to "manual".

2) I cannot get it to display the lap numbers and the lap times. I have used the default "Lap List - 10". The lap data does not exist in the garmin fit file but should be able to be calculated from all the gps location data in the file. I have tried changing the field from "time" (which seems to be the default) to "GPS_Update" and to "lattitude" and to "longitude" but that does not help.

Thanks, Lloyd
    This might be an issue with setting the Start/Finish point in the input file itself. In the top right, there should be a list of Input Files. Click on your .fit file, and then click Config. In the pop-up, click on the "Set Start / Finish Point" button. In that pop-up, drag the slider at the bottom to align your GPS coordinate dot to the appropriate location of the start line, and click OK both times to save the config.

Now when you click on the Laps button next to the Create Video button, you should see a Lap List pop-up with all 12 laps and times. You'll likely see a ~30 minute lap 0 which is the time before your first lap.