Thread: First tune game plan

Tuner

First tune game plan

I am retired ASE master tech. Transmission building was my Job. I am LS swapping a 2000 S10 2.2L to a 2004/2005 LM4. I upgraded the engine to an L33 5.3L, with Gen IV rods/pistons & 243 heads. I have dual fans, Holley front accessory drive an Elgin E-1839-P camshaft (.575/.575, 286/282, 220/224, 112) & I upgraded the 25lbs OE injectors to a GM 12580681 30lbs set for the cam. I also am using a Delphi AF10043 sensor.

I have not been able to purchase a module yet, HPtuners has the MPVI2+ on B/O & the MPVI3 is not yet available for sale!!! Anyone from HPtumers that may be able to share when the MPVI3 will be ready? I'm ready to buy!!!

I'll be starting with an updated tune file blindsquirrel did for me for the injector data I needed. Thank you again blindsquirrel.
    1) add the idle file.
    2) MAF tuning, I have a how to I got from some one on here.

All this is easy peasy for all you senior tuners, but is all new to me. I'm having a blast in my learning curve. If you have any tips or changes you believe i need to do feel free to advise. I'm all ears. I could borrow an tune module, but then I would have to borrow every time i need it. I do want to do more. I build performance transmissions for a speed shop and the more I understand what guy's are doing to trans tune the better!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Building Automatic Transmissions since 1978
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Black 2000 S10 Base 2.2L Flex Current LS10 swap project
    Red 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 3.73 SOLD
    Red 1998 S10 SS 4.3L Deceased 10/31/2014

Sounds like a nice fun project! Definitely great first step on getting good injector data in there.
    My 02 cents would be to calibrate the VE table first then, if you need to, calibrate the MAF sensor. If you are running a wideband you can do Open Loop Speed Density or if stock narrowband o2 sensors then Closed Loop Speed Density. There should be some good VE table tuning guides out there also.

Biggest thing for me is to make it science, not art! Staying organized and changing one thing at a time and really getting good data to guide your changes is key. With your background, your grasp on the fundamental powertrain operations will benefit you well.
    Last edited by CaudleDynamicsLLC; 09-14-2022 at 12:24 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CaudleDynamicsLLC View Post
    Sounds like a nice fun project! Definitely great first step on getting good injector data in there.
    My 02 cents would be to calibrate the VE table first then, if you need to, calibrate the MAF sensor. If you are running a wideband you can do Open Loop Speed Density or if stock narrowband o2 sensors then Closed Loop Speed Density. There should be some good VE table tuning guides out there also.

Biggest thing for me is to make it science, not art! Staying organized and changing one thing at a time and really getting good data to guide your changes is key. With your background, your grasp on the fundamental powertrain operations will benefit you well.
    that's a very good idea, I didn't think of that.
    Building Automatic Transmissions since 1978
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Black 2000 S10 Base 2.2L Flex Current LS10 swap project
    Red 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 3.73 SOLD
    Red 1998 S10 SS 4.3L Deceased 10/31/2014

Many tuners (especially when dealing with more aggressive camshafts) actually prefer to just keep it in Speed Density mode and don't run fueling calculations from the MAF anyway.

This can be additionally nice for swaps if you want to omit the MAF sensor and then don't have to stress over getting ideal laminar airflow over the sensor and less engine bay clutter/connections on your intake tube. Two of the five MAF wires are for IAT signal (which you still need in SD mode), so typically what I do is use a 2001 Camaro IAT sensor and pigtail and install it in the intake tube with a rubber grommet just before the throttle body. Further bonus for the OCD types like me; then the remaining three MAF wires can be simplified out and de-pinned back at the PCM Just another option to throw out. SD or SD/MAF as factory, either way you can get it dialed in and running perfect.
    Last edited by CaudleDynamicsLLC; 09-15-2022 at 12:22 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Can anyone me get a lil more out of my 2006 gmc sierra 2500 6.0 with 4l80e it is stick but from take off it has no power and help me get the the file upload here

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogernles View Post
    Can anyone me get a lil more out of my 2006 gmc sierra 2500 6.0 with 4l80e it is stick but from take off it has no power and help me get the the file upload here
    you will be better off starting a new thread. the file attachment didn't work for me as a newbie, but did work when i made a new post.