Thread: Control Pack Swap car troubleshooting

Advanced Tuner

Control Pack Swap car troubleshooting

A little back story. this is an e36 swapped M3.

Gen 1 Control pack, MT82. stock truck manifold, stock TB, stock size MAF, ID1000 injectors on e85.

It initially had a truck motor in it and that blew up a ring land. Until it blew up it ran just fine.

We put a gen3 bottom end, LM mustang intake cams, gen 1 heads and put it all back together.

Engine starts and seems to run fine initially. In fact if I force Open Loop fueling it runs completely fine and the Widebands are even bank to bank (a little rich but the e85 had been sitting and its mixed with a little fresh fuel).

Put in a Closed Loop calibration and it gets weird. It will run terribly in Fuel Source: CL-Normal. Bank 1 will trim -30 and Bank 2 will trim +60. It will do this until it goes into "CL-Fault" and then it snaps back to running just fine where the trims are even and +-8% (the maf needs to be dialed but its close enough till it gets fresh fuel IMO)

We have made sure the o2 sensors are new, they are on the correct side of the motor
    Intake Manifold has no leaks
    MAF reports a clean signal (running solid in OL tells me the MAF is fine)
    HPT Scanner "claims" it successfully completed a crank relearn.
    VCT data shows that the cams move in sync as commanded
    Have tried swapping coils from bank to bank (waiting on a spare known good set to throw in in a day or 2)
    No exhaust leaks
    Tried swapping to a set of stock injectors from a known good vehicle

NONE of this has cured the problem. It persists.
    The calibration in it (owner is the 3rd owner of the vehicle) had a ton of DTC set to "No Error Reported". I attribute some of this to being a control pack but I don't know for sure. It does not show any DTC when scanned though.

I looked at the "tuning suggestion" for LM intake cams and it appears they only give OP data. Are there any parameters that need to change elsewhere in the tune that are required for the LM cams that might cause it to act up?

This thing almost has me beat. we've tried everything that anyone I've talked to thinks could cause it. Why does it run FINE in open loop and CL-Fault and get upset in CL-Normal?

The only thing that I could think of (from learning the hard way in the past with a ford 90mm TB lol) is that maybe the throttle body is messed up somehow internally and its throwing a "wrench light" or something that I can't see. I have another stock one to test this against but I figure its a long shot.

Anyone have any ideas that I haven't thought of? any way to test anything else without a DTC to look at? (I am going to turn all the DTC on and see if it will spit out a code I can actually diagnose as well)

Thanks for any help.

Advanced Tuner
    I had similar problems with a gen 2 when the phasers were incorrect for the setup. I know you said you have data verifying the cams, but it might be worth running a compression/leakdown test.

Advanced Tuner
    Phasers timed incorrectly; or incorrect parts (ie gen2 in a get 1 motor)? Unless it skipped timing on startup or something they were definitely timed correctly, and they are the same phasers that were in there from before.

compression/leakdown test is in the back of my mind; but because the motor and trans has to come out completely to do any kind of work on it (due to space) Im doing mental gymnastics trying to think of anything but that lol.

Advanced Tuner
    They have it installed in such a way that they cant get plugs out without pulling the engine? That's extra special.

Advanced Tuner
    No nothing like that. But I don?t know if pulling the covers and stuff is feasible. It?s really tight. Plugs no problem. Just if it needed to be retimed that might be a bit involved.

It?s 10lbs in a 5lb sack for sure.