Thread: Install Beta as NON-default application?

Install Beta as NON-default application?

Is this even possible? I'd kinda like to have a newer/latest version as an option alongside my older stable version, but man, the Beta just does not want to exist if it can't be the default application. Even after changing the default program for .hpt/.hpl in Windows back to the old stable non-beta, manually opening a tune file or log direct from Explorer STILL opens in the damn Beta. The ONLY way to open files in the stable version is to use the shortcut for the stable version, then do 'Open File'.

If this unintentional behavior, figured someone would want to know so it can be fixed, or at least give an option for which one to use as the default during install. If someone decided on purpose that this is how it should work, that's shitty and you should feel bad.

(uninstalling the Beta also breaks all the HPT file icons and requires a 'repair' install of the preexisting stable version, FYI.)

Potential Tuner
    Right click on any .hpt and click on "Properties" in the pop up menu. There is a spot in general tab that says "Opens with:", click the "Change..." button. Scroll to the bottom of the page that popped up and click on "More Apps". Scroll to the bottom again and click on "Look for another app on this PC". Then find and select the exe file for the stable version. Don't forget to click on Apply when you're done.

Yeah, "changing the default program for .hpt/.hpl in Windows back to the old stable non-beta". Did not work, as stated. Beta uninstalled.

I was curious about this. I have multiple versions currently. I keep an old version for setting up widebands through the egr, where you still have the enable/disable button in the exhaust tab. The button disappeared when the MPVI2+ was released.

Potential Tuner
    Due to my curiosity I figured out how to install a stable version 4, a beta version 4, a stable version 5 and a beta version 5 all along side of each other on the same laptop and can change the .hpt/.hpl default applications to any one of these versions as I please. This is how I did it:

On Windows 10, I started off with a beta version 5 installed which caused version 4 installs to fail with the message: "A newer version of VCM Suite is already installed." So I uninstalled version 5 in the Apps & Features section of Windows.

I started with the oldest version I had, stable version 4.10.7.0. When performing the installation I appended the version number to the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Tuners\VCM Suite" folder. After installation I went into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Tuners\VCM Suite 4.10.7.0" folder and appended the version number to both the "VCM Editor.exe" and "VCM Scanner.exe" files. There are four other files in that folder: Editor.HPTdb, Resources.HPTdb, Scanner.HPTdb and vcmssm.dll. Copy these four files to a folder on your desktop temporarily. When version 5 is installed it will delete or over-right all version 4 folders and their contents, but it won't completely succeed because it no longer recognizes the exe files with their modified names.

Next I installed beta version 4.13.268.0 following the same steps from the previous paragraph. The resulting install folder was "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Tuners\VCM Suite (Beta) 4.13.268.0".

Next I installed stable version 5.0.4.0 in folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Tuners\VCM Suite 5.0.4.0" using the same steps as before, but I did not have to back up the four additional files as they aren't removed by the beta version 5 installation.

Next I installed beta version 5.1.24.0 in folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Tuners\VCM Suite (Beta) 5.1.24.0" using the same steps as before. This included renaming the exe files.

Finally, I moved the four files I saved to my desktop for stable version 4.10.7.0 and the four files I saved for beta version 4.13.268.0 back to their respective "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Tuners" installation folders.

You can create different desktop shortcuts for all four VCM Scanner and VCM Editor exe files by right clicking on each exe file and choosing "Send To > Desktop (Create Shortcut)".

You can also now successfully change the default app for .hpt and .hpl files because the exe file for each version has a different file name.