Thread: WOT VVE SD Tuning 09 Pontiac G8

Advanced Tuner

WOT VVE SD Tuning 09 Pontiac G8

A friend a co-worker has an early 09 G8 (63lb injector limit E38), and I had previously tuned it with the High Speed set to 3000. So, Blended until 3k and MAF above 3k.

He decided to do some ricer crap to his car, and now I have a problem. He deleted the MAF, installed a 2 wire IAT in the side of the Intake Manifold behind the TB, and put a velocity stack on the TB..... So now it needs to be a pure SD tune.

I failed the MAF, and have been using the stock OS today on the dyno. Used LTFT for all the Idle/Cruise regions.... Gave it a WOT stab 2500 to 4500 and in the 90-100kpa region the whole run it was 20-25% lean. I threw 30% at that area in the VVE. Uploaded, and made a pass....same lean spot. Added 30%, upload....made a pass....same. I did this 4 times, with no change.

Is the Custom 2bar OS more VVE friendly? Am I doing this wrong? I usually only tune VVE in the low regions, and let the MAF take over and it works perfectly.

Car...
    Early 09 G8
    Long Tubes
    BTR Stage 3 Cam
    660 Springs
    3600 Stall
    DSX Flex Sensor
    MAF Deleted
    IAT breakout

2-bar OS does away with the VVE crap, gives you regular VE tables instead. Apply it to the file, save as new, and give it a look-through. Doesn't cost anything and you don't have to flash it if it doesn't look like something you want to mess with.

The new VE tables are filled with zeroes, and the axes are different than the VVE, so you need some spreadsheet trickery to convert the data. Also defaults to some silly MAP linear/offset that needs put back to what matches the actual part being used.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    2-bar OS does away with the VVE crap, gives you regular VE tables instead. Apply it to the file, save as new, and give it a look-through. Doesn't cost anything and you don't have to flash it if it doesn't look like something you want to mess with.

The new VE tables are filled with zeroes, and the axes are different than the VVE, so you need some spreadsheet trickery to convert the data. Also defaults to some silly MAP linear/offset that needs put back to what matches the actual part being used.
    That sounds kind of scary. I'm in. Any links to the complete process?

Advanced Tuner
    Will flash custom OS in the morning, and report back.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post519973

A search for 'vve+2-bar+excel' will keep you distracted for a while.

Advanced Tuner
    Changed over to Custom 2bar, but my original VVE table was not flip flopped on axes like I read in that link so what I did is....

Changed to 2bar
    Copied my former VVE table from 0-105kpa, and pasted it over
    Copied the 105 line to 210, multiplied by 1.33 and interpolated vertically
    Repeated that with 210 and 315 (Even though this car is N/A and I'll never use these...table looks better)
    Corrected my MAP settings

About to upload with a Write Entire

Repeated that with 210 and 315 (Even though this car is N/A and I'll never use these...table looks better)
    ...and reduces resolution in the areas that will get used. Bad idea.

I don't think there is such an animal as a file with VVE that doesn't have the axes flipped versus the conventional VE.

Advanced Tuner
    When I applied the 2bar OS to this car, and then performed a Write Entire..... The VVE table looks exactly the same on all axes

What am I missing?

Advanced Tuner
    It also added a bunch of the numbers 4096 in

13420 VE Lo Altd
    13421 VE Hi Altd
    13442 VE Hi Altd DoD

and.....the car won't start

Advanced Tuner
    Scratch all of that. I applied the OS incorrectly, and it did not take. Now I have a file that has an actual VE table, and no such thing as a VVE table up top.

Advanced Tuner
    Now I have the axes that are inverse of each other. Is there a spreadsheet that I can input the VVE into, and it will flip flop it?

Advanced Tuner
    All went fine after my last post. It tuned out like a Gen 3 VE table.

Can these os patches be reverted?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by traviz06 View Post
    Can these os patches be reverted?
    No.. Keep your stock file in a safe place. You can re-write it with the stock file or stock OS file.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs