Thread: Help with Voodoo swap tune/troubleshoot

Potential Tuner

Help with Voodoo swap tune/troubleshoot

Working on a Voodoo swap in a 68 Mustang.

The major changes from the stock engine configuration are new forged internals, compression ratio of ~11:1, billet OPG and CS, ID 1050x injectors and D1X Procharger at about 12 psi of boost. Fuel pressure is set at about 55 psi.

I have tried a few tunes and the engine will attempt to start but never fire off. What is odd is that the TPS is showing 26* during the attempted starts. What is even more strange is that it will start with the TB unplugged and continue running when it is plugged in. The engine will idle, but it is a high idle ~1200-1300 rpms. I have included that datalog below.

I have attempted the TB relearn by slowly cycling the pedal three times open and closed and on the third hold it open for 10 seconds.

26* seems to be too wide open at idle. And I find it strange that it will not fire off on a tune with the TB plugged in, but will start with it unplugged and idle with it plugged in.

Any thoughts? Thanks. Original Tune New ECM - TB unplugged at start up.hpl

Post you attempt to run tune

Potential Tuner

Base tune

Quote Originally Posted by GSLSE20B View Post
    Post you attempt to run tune
    NEW PCM PATS BASE FILE.hptNEW PCM PATS ORIGINAL FUEL CURVE SMALLER THROTTLE OPENING TO START.hpt

I have attached two files. One is the original tune that is ties to the data log above. The second is my tuner's adjustment to the throttle body being at 26*.

Potential Tuner
    Probably worth adding that the IMRC is removed and they are wide open.

Advanced Tuner
    A crank position relearn needs to be done.

Your cams are going into a fail safe mode. They don't know their correlation to the crank.
    Last edited by Thatwhite5.0; 09-18-2022 at 01:26 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    A crank position relearn needs to be done.

Your cams are going into a fail safe mode. They don't know their correlation to the crank.
    Thanks for the response. I was afraid of that. During a couple of the datalogs, it was showing the crank relearn DTC, but it does not show up any more....not sure why.

When the relearn initially popped up, I did some research and based on what I found, I believe I have to reinstall stock injectors and intake to be able to do the crank relearn. Is this correct?

Also, I have read that the HP Tuner may not perform the crank relearn correctly on a Coyote (even though this technically isn't a Coyote, I would assume the issues are similar). The consensus was that it need to be done by an SCT X4 or Snap-on programmer. In anyones experience, is this correct?

Appreciate the feedback.

Advanced Tuner
    In the past there were issues with the scanner and crank re-learn. It was hit or miss. I'm not sure if the bug has been fixed or not.

You do not need the stock injectors or manifold. Just have to be able to rev to the rpm indicated and do the procedure as directed. Manual I believe the parking brake needs to be on and the clutch has to be depressed. You will need those sensors working.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    In the past there were issues with the scanner and crank re-learn. It was hit or miss. I'm not sure if the bug has been fixed or not.

You do not need the stock injectors or manifold. Just have to be able to rev to the rpm indicated and do the procedure as directed. Manual I believe the parking brake needs to be on and the clutch has to be depressed. You will need those sensors working.
    Understood. We have been unable to get it to that point. From what "Thatwhite5.0" said, I wasn't sure if it going in to fail safe mode is what is keeping it from firing. It sounds like we just need to continue working on the tune to get it to idle?

What should the TPS read for a normal idle?

Apologies for all the questions and I greatly appreciate the responses. This is a seven year project and I am agonizingly close; but the tune has been holding me up for a few weeks. Anxious to get this thing running.

Id say check your firing order or PCM eeprom...since VooDoo has a different firing order, running Coyote firing order might end like this.

Also worth to mention, 2nd gen won't start without all CAM sensor signals working perfectly, just won't. 3rd gen will after going in fail safe mode and will even run ok-ish.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Id say check your firing order or PCM eeprom...since VooDoo has a different firing order, running Coyote firing order might end like this.

Also worth to mention, 2nd gen won't start without all CAM sensor signals working perfectly, just won't. 3rd gen will after going in fail safe mode and will even run ok-ish.
    Wouldn?t both of those scenarios cause the engine to throw codes? If it will start with the TB unplugged, I would assume the firing order is correct. It is a GT350 ECM.

The engine is a 2017, so I believe that is a gen2(?).

Where in the datalog will it show that the engine has gone in to fail safe mode?

Thanks