Thread: MPV1-1 & MPV1-3 Stand-alone logging issues on 2003 Z06

Potential Tuner

MPV1-1 & MPV1-3 Stand-alone logging issues on 2003 Z06

Has anyone ran into this issue?

About a month ago, after countless successful logs with a lap top connected and a handful of successful stand alone logs with the MPV1-1, I went to the track (road course) and 12 minutes into the session/log the car started making a dinging sound, I looked down and messages are popping up one after another: service engine, service traction control, service stability, low fuel warning, reduced power - you name it, it was coming up. Additionally my entire gauge cluster was dead as well. MPV1-1 had an error light. Drove into the pits and cycled the ignition (disconnected the MPV) and all was fine. Didn?t try logging again the rest of that day nor the next and the car ran perfect, as it did all summer long. I should not there is nothing odd with the log other than it stops when everything started going crazy.

Fast forward to today, UPS just dropped off the new MPV1-3, different laptop (old one has a old windows version and older hp tuner version) and got everything ready to do stand alone logging. Thought everything was fine as I drove out to a friends house. When I went to leave I started the car, then hit the button to start recording and as soon as I did I started getting all the error messages on my display. Turned the ignition off, pulled the MPV out and turned the car back on and everything was fine. Turned the car off, plugged it back in, started it and this time when I hit the button to record the clock died on the radio, hit the volume button to turn the radio on and it didn?t function either, hit the MPV button to stop recording and the clock came back on, but with the wrong time of 1:00. Tried this again and again the clock and radio power died when the record starts and comes back when the record stops, re-setting to 1:00. Unplugged the MPV and started driving home, about half way home I plugged it in and started a record, with no apparent problems. Stopped the recording while still driving home. Before arriving home started recording again, took a few minutes, then the clock went out. The logs recorded data, nothing apparently wrong with them.

Seems to be a stand alone logging issue only and with both units (I do not have a MPV1-2) and it?s not all the time, although the MpV1-3 is certainly happening a lot, compared to just the one time with the MPV1-1

Sadly this ruins my trust and ability to do any logging at the track as potentially having something die at a inopportune time could be dangerous.

Anyone have any idea what to look for and/or what might be going on?

Thanks
    Rich

here is another thread and similar compliant on this exact issue... is hptuners messing up the network comms?

bill it seems like tickets have been submitted in the past on this issue, is there a true resolution?

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...d-Clock-Issues

Advanced Tuner
    Not as exact comparison to yours, but another data point. I have a 2003 Z06 as well and MPVI2 and used standalone logging quite a lot- never had an issue. I always make sure it's running the latest FW and "interface resources". How much stuff are you logging?

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the historic posting link, I’ve also since found posts on corvette forum of the same type of issues.

One thing to add is with the MPVI-1 experience it did not mess up or reset the clock radio, just everything with the dash went crazy. With the MPVI-3 I didn’t notice the clock until after everything went crazy with the dash messages and I had already cycled the key afterwards.

The MPVI-3 is brand new and I just loaded the newly released software so I would think I’m clean there.

Not sure if I can post a photo I have from before of the items I’m logging - how many items are you logging?

Screen shot failed, says invalid file trying to upload from my phone, but it’s 25 items

Thanks,
    Rich

Advanced Tuner
    I also experience issues on my C5 when logging. At times the logger will simply quits. Other times it messes up the auto trans shifting.
    And it?s hit or miss.
    On my Nova I get random single data dropouts. Although the car runs perfectly.

I haven?t borrowed my buddies interface to see if it does the same.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks RonSSnova

I've been out of town, but when I returned I dropped the number of items I was logging down to 7, it worked okay for two logs and then on the third it killed the radio again. This time I had the radio physically on and I got to hear what was described on corvette forum, which is a loud pop out of all the speakers before the radio is knocked out.

I'm going to open a ticket here, as I read others have, but they didn't post any results of outcomes.

As it is the MPVI-3 really doesn't work at all for my intended purpose on the C5 Z06, which was simply doing logging.

I'll post back with the outcome for others.

Thanks,
    Rich

Potential Tuner
    Ticket #66476 entered