Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie here, with a 2015 Chevy Trax 1.4L turbo

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    is it the aem obd2 wideband or just using the canbus inputs on the pro ? if u have to set the maths up u first add it so u can see the wideband in the channels working then right click and select transform then select the correct wideband if its there or select user defined and then select a wideband to then set your own offsets too, if its the obd2 canbus then u cant set it up its just correct as it is
    Hi, thank you for the answer.

It's the 14point7 Spartan 3, connected to the prolink+ in the MVPI3, using the CANBUS of the Prolink. The channel is added, and logged. The values are shown, so I know the Spartan 3 can be read properly, but I can use the values in math, Gauge, or graph, as it's not in the parameter list.

Basically, I can read the input, like if it was a gauge on my dashboard, but I can't use it to tune, since I can use it in graphs using this method : https://youtu.be/7IoWmLEmlvE

Having a gauge that show my the AFR is useless if I can't map what the AFR is at a certain RPM and at a certain MAF value, or in a VE table.

What I want, is to get that value, that is in the channels, and use it in math, and/or in graphs, like all the other PID.

Channel list :
    Channels.JPG

Parameter list : (Used for math, gauge, and graphs)
    Math_Or_Graph_Or_Gauge.JPG

Thank you

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    is it the aem obd2 wideband or just using the canbus inputs on the pro ? if u have to set the maths up u first add it so u can see the wideband in the channels working then right click and select transform then select the correct wideband if its there or select user defined and then select a wideband to then set your own offsets too, if its the obd2 canbus then u cant set it up its just correct as it is
    Oh, and when I right-click on these inputs, there is no "transform" in the menu, like on the other PID.

Channel_no_Transform.JPG

Tuner in Training
    Another detail, that might help, the Channel icon is different for these channels, it's a silhouette with a gear on top...

Channel_icons.JPG

Tuner in Training
    Ok, so I've figured it all on my own.

Since the parameters is not shown in the channel list, and the value is otherwise not accessible, there is a bit of fiddling that is required.

No_ID.JPG

First, open the file "C:\Users\...\Documents\HP Tuners\Settings\VCM Scanner.cfg", this file has the configured channels in.

Look for "UserParameter" in the file,paying more attention where the "channel" tag is located. (Those are the CANBUS channels)

Here is what it looks like in my file :

<channel ParameterID="5982" ParamterType="8" Address="1024">
    <UserParameter DeviceManufacturer="14Point7" DeviceName="Spartan 3" ExternalRoute="10" ParameterOffset="0" ParameterMask="0" dataType="4" startingValue="0" scalingPerBit="1000" unit="238" />
    </channel>
    Take note of the "ParameterID" number and the "unit" number.

Close the file

In a math formula, use the parameter ID and unit you just found, and voila! You have a user-defined parameter you can use in a Gauge, and a graph.

Math.JPG

I hope this will be able to help someone else too
    Last edited by Dr_Evil; 10-08-2022 at 08:34 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I've tried replacing a narrowband with a wideband and wiring it up, never got it to work properly without the ECM throwing additional O2 codes. Probably not a worthwhile exercise to try it, but your call!

Yep, it's tight with the factory cat on the LUV engines being immediately post-turbo BUT it's doable. My friend with a 2012 Sonic had a bung (comes with most WBO2s) welded in near the factory pre-cat sensor and it worked pretty well, have to ask the shop doing it to be creative and make sure there's room for the sensor to stick out. IIRC it was near this spot, marked it with a red arrow:

Attachment 124500

The AEM one recommended earlier is very convenient and what I'd recommend as well, plugs into your OBDII port and the MPVI plugs into it so you can read the WB datastream right in VCM Scanner.
    I've done it, and made it work

Sadly, there were just no room to add a wideband in there, there is a big AWD Tranny in the way that the sonic don't have ;-) and a big rad on the other side...

So I went with a 14point7 Spartan 3, but the narrowband output was too slow. Since I got the MPVI3 with the pro cable, I was able to read the Lambda value directly from the CANbus output of the 14point7 controller, so I've used the linear output to simulate my own narrowband by setting the 5V output at Lambda <= 0.99 and the 0V output at >= 1.00 Lambda (otherwise it was just too slow. Then I put a voltage divider there, a 1.2K resistor and a 270 Omhs resistor, and it worked like a charm. Oh and I had to put a 10 ohms resistor to simulate the heater.

You can see the hurdles I had to go through there : https://14point7.discoursehosting.ne...t-p0133/103/10

This is the important part :

narrowband.JPG

And now it works, and I can tune, while still daily drive my car when not tuning

I know, there is a 0.005 lambda offset towards rich, but I figured that is was probably within the sensor tolerance ;-)

Hopes this helps someone else in the future.

Thank you
    Last edited by Dr_Evil; 10-23-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
    I've done it, and made it work

Sadly, there were just no room to add a wideband in there, there is a big AWD Tranny in the way that the sonic don't have ;-) and a big rad on the other side...

So I went with a 14point7 Spartan 3, but the narrowband output was too slow. Since I got the MPVI3 with the pro cable, I was able to read the Lambda value directly from the CANbus output of the 14point7 controller, so I've used the linear output to simulate my own narrowband by setting the 5V output at Lambda <= 0.99 and the 0V output at >= 1.00 Lambda (otherwise it was just too slow. Then I put a voltage divider there, a 1.2K resistor and a 270 Omhs resistor, and it worked like a charm. Oh and I had to put a 10 ohms resistor to simulate the heater.

You can see the hurdles I had to go through there : https://14point7.discoursehosting.ne...t-p0133/103/10

This is the important part :

narrowband.JPG

And now it works, and I can tune, while still daily drive my car when not tuning

I know, there is a 0.005 lambda offset towards rich, but I figured that is was probably within the sensor tolerance ;-)

Hopes this helps someone else in the future.

Thank you
    Still happy with your setup? Looking at going this route but haven't heard much other feedback in the hp tuner world

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mclellan83 View Post
    Still happy with your setup? Looking at going this route but haven't heard much other feedback in the hp tuner world

Hi, sorry for the late answer, never got a notification...

Yes, it worked really well while I was tuning, I'm running the car now, and everything works perfectly

Tuner in Training
    I know it is almost one year after your posting, but have you been able to fit an AFR Probe?
    My car has the same "space" in the engine bay and I have been able to weld a Wideband probe next to the orignal one.

Further I replaced the stock Ceramic catalytic converter with an 200 cell converter. Diameter 130mm.
    To protect the oil pan I "wrapped" it in an integral insulation.
    My ambition was to make everything look original.
    The traffic controls in Germany don't like modifications that much and in the worst case, they are going to confiscate the vehicle.