Thread: E38 "ADD CONTROLLER" function

Tuner in Training

E38 "ADD CONTROLLER" function

is there info on how this function works? I have a manual tune in an E38 and am trying to get back to A6 function. Flashing (write entire) a tune with A6 already attached will not re-read out as auto trans or have any of these functions. Am I going about this wrong or missing something?

Manual trans ECM OS will not talk over CAN to an auto trans TCM no matter how you build a file or how it's flashed. Really no different than how an auto trans ECM will not function like a manual trans ECM just by removing the TCM and setting trans type to 'Manual'. There is A LOT of code below the surface that the HPT editor GUI does not show you when you look at a tune file.

HP Tuners is not the right tool for changing OS on Gen 4s anyhow. It does not read or write 2 of the 8 segments in the ECM. The two that do not get read/written are different from manual to auto, even when it's the same base OS from the same year and platform and the only apparent difference is trans type.

The way to do this is with the VIN from a vehicle with the components you want to use, put into GM SPS, and flashed with Tech2/MDI or other compatible J2534 passthru device.

Tuner in Training
    thank you for the input. I thought I might be headed for that but was grasping for a quick solution.