Thread: Keep converter locked for downshifts

Keep converter locked for downshifts

I was playing around with the converter and I want to know if I can keep the converter locked on downshifts, and have it unlock/lock for full throttle shifts (like normal).
    The car is a 2013 ctsv with a built trans and triple disk converter.

Tuner
    I can think of no situation in which you would ever "want" to keep the converter locked during a downshift... Even if your trans and converter can handle it.
    You would have to overlay the mph charts for "apply and release" to even get it to work .. Maybe ???

The only reason is that I have the converter set to lock immediately and not "sliiide" because circle d and the trans builder said it's not good for it to slide into lock. And because of that when downshifting in TUTD it unlocks and then locks for each gear I downshift and I'm concerned doing that often may damage something. I seeing if there is a way to make that process smoother because I don't know if having it unlock/lock each downshift is ok for the converter. Maybe it is fine I could be wrong.

There are no settings that will keep it from unlocking when downshifting. The only thing I’d suggest is up your commanded pressures at wot so the converter will lock back up quickly with as little slip as possible.

Tuner
    Also, that is a the triple disc converter.... You are NOT going to hurt it by cycling it a million times...
    Even the factory crap converter clutches cycle all the time and last for 100K miles with no issues.
    I run a triple in my 4L80E for towing very heavy loads. I wish I had a way to lock it under full throttle when not towing (old standalone compushift)

Drive on and have fun

Hmm, I havent dug into it yet, but have also been curious about keeping the converter locked on downshifts (on decel; low to negative engine load only), but imagine that the ECM is going to have a much harder time being accurate enough with achieving the trans requested torque to pull off a smooth shift with no converter slip. Curious to hear if you have any luck / good results