Thread: Controller Unlocker: Timed Out on MPVI3

Controller Unlocker: Timed Out on MPVI3

I finally got the drivers for my Win7-64 tuning laptop and decided to make some adjustments.

I was able to write a calibration to the ECM, then made a few changes and attempted to write a second one. FAILED!
    Now when attempting to write, I get a Controller Unlocker: Timed Out

Both vehicle and laptop battery levels are good.
    Is this hardware/software really that flaky? Is this recoverable or did this just turn my ECM into a brick?
    Last edited by phuz; 09-22-2022 at 03:03 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Where did you get the windows 7 drivers I seem to be having the same issues as you.

Potential Tuner
    Heres some things i did when i ran into this same problem,
    i have a 04 silverado 4.8
    i currently have a ecm from a 05 tahoe 5.3 { accidentally wrote entire on first ecm that came in the truck}
    so i was doing some mass airflow tuning and loaded in a tune that would force my ecm to run only from the maf. anyways the tune loaded in and went out to log some data. came back made some adjustments to the maf, went to write into the ecm and it was going great. then boom got the controller unlocker timed out. not gonna lie started sweating because i have to go to work in the morning. read through some forums saying to pull the radio fuse especially if its an aftermarket unit. pulled fuse nothing. starting going through seeing what all was pulling with key on engine off and pulled some lighting relays. also found that gm says not to run a battery charger when tuning something about the frequency created instead use a jump pack. found a couple forums where they disconnected the battery and it worked. so i combined all my finding and disconnect all lighting relays and radio, disconnected battery and touched both cable leads togther for 30secs. connected battery, key on engine off, loaded my last tune i was trying to write and set it up, wanna note i did two no nos hp tuners says not to do battery was not hooked to anything and also unplugged after a failed write. anyways wrote the tune and it completed the write with no issues. call it dumb luck but sometimes you have to do what your not supposed to