Thread: 10r80 quirks

10r80 quirks

These are issues I've been trying to iron out since the car was stock. From the day my wife picked up her 2020 mustang gt pp1 the trans has had 2 odd behaviors.

1st- when you floor it, there's a noticeable "lag" between the car downshifting and throttle input. I've confirmed full throttle, no limiters, no spark issues. Everything is dialed in fuel/engine side. Like I said, it even did it stock. To better place it, it's like you floor it then there's a .5 second to hair longer period of full throttle without down gearing

2nd- at like 55 or 60mph If you floor it, it will down gear and after like 200rpms decide hey I could of dropped another gear and does it. So you get a strange downshift, acceleration amd then another downshift.

Like I said, it's done it since the day we broke it in bought brand new. I wonder if it may be due to being a PP1 and the gearing that comes with that? Or what. Just strange.

Advanced Tuner
    I spent time frustrated with the 10R80 also, then I turned off the Torque Based Shifting, and since then it has behaved SO MUCH better (especially on its eagerness to downshift).

That helped a ton. Any idea to get the kick down to be real immediate to throttle input?

Disabling torque based shifting almost eliminated it. It took out the hunting issue completely.

Advanced Tuner
    There's probably only a couple small changes you can make under the Airflow section as far as throttle sensitivity. Other than that, make sure you have your Downshift Max RPMs set as high as you want them, and that the torque limiters in the trans are set high enough to not cause any delay either. I haven't figured out how to get mine to "immediately" downshift, but it is sportier than it used to be.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bkg06gto View Post
    That helped a ton. Any idea to get the kick down to be real immediate to throttle input?

Increase your downshift shift schedule at higher throttle percent or the throttle percent you want to increase the shift sensitivity in. Just be careful of your upshift shift points, don't command a downshift before an upshift. It can be overlooked and it's easy to do when you start increasing your downshifts. The shift won't happen, you'll get a wrench light.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Increase your downshift shift schedule at higher throttle percent or the throttle percent you want to increase the shift sensitivity in. Just be careful of your upshift shift points, don't command a downshift before an upshift. It can be overlooked and it's easy to do when you start increasing your downshifts. The shift won't happen, you'll get a wrench light.
    Been there and done that. Also accidentally had it flash between 6 and 7th gear while cruising because I think I had the two points crossed in those gears.

Tuner
    I cannot stress how much turning off torque based shifting impacted my Ranger too. It drives like I expect it should now in sport and in drive.

Psyko - do we know what exactly the torque based shifting itself does? I know it says it will follow the shift schedule, but is that quite literally it?
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 10-28-2022 at 09:02 AM.

2021 calibrations like mach 1 have that shit turned off stock. But there's more to get rid off...

What is does it checks torque plausibility first, will only shift if your torque looks plausible-ish. Otherwise it will up shift early for most of the time or downshift like Samuel L Jackson.
    Last edited by veeefour; 10-29-2022 at 02:18 AM.

Makes sense, So what else can be disabled/made better to make it shift quicker/more responsive. Ive gone around my head on this and its driving me nuts.

Doesn't help I have a 2021 A10 SS camaro virtually identical mods and it shifts before you even realize what happened. When we roll race them, i jump her so bad off the hit just due to the down gear delay hers has.

ZL1 and GM overall is not much torque oriented as Ford is now days. If you can match request to actual torque they shift just as fast. If you have a "lag" fix your tune.

I can tune GM/Mopar on Sunday afternoon, one hand drinking coffee and other slapping a hooker and it will be fine but Ford is just another world.

Ah there we go. Honestly that has been the most helpful comment I have seen. Everyone else has lead me to believe its a TM setting or one of the 100 ford limiters lol.

But if its lining up torque, Ill start logging those parameters and see if i can make it match.

for the record, i would agree. Dodge isnt as bad as I thought it would be. GM has never troubled me, even the newer ECMs.

Ford for whatever reason thinks you need 25 tables just to open the hood hahah.

People write books on how to correct torque model, we have few here that would advise you to work 3 month on your model...they post cool theories about patents
    never really have any field experience..people gets confused, see only black magic...no wonder if mathematician is giving you advises on how to tune LOL

Id say just extrapolate the model... And care more about your SD model and SD request, torque model is just what you set, does not need to be perfect.
    At the end of the day everything comes from MAF and SD model, torque is just a secondary. You can run 1000hp on stock trans tune, just need to adjust the pressures..
    But that is only until your SD/MAF/Injector are correct.

Interesting update.

I spent a little time with the car actually sit down and log etc. What I have seen is the car delays fueling. from full throttle there is almost a 1- 1.5 sec delay on PE fueling, worse at slower speeds. Mode doesn't matter, TCS on/off doesn't matter. When the car hits target PE is when the car actually commands and shifts almost instantly. I tried messing with the PE settings, nothing i did changed this phantom delay. I searched some last night and it almost sounds identical to a issue you had on a much larger power car around 2019 Veefour.