Thread: Critique my 6L80 tune

Potential Tuner

Critique my 6L80 tune

Hi Guys,

Have an 09 Tahoe with the 5.3 and 6L80 that's my daily driver. Originally bought HPT to disable DOD and have access to bidirectional scanner capabilities. 6 months ago my torque converter crapped the bed and took the rest of the trans with it. Had a reman installed and while doing researched learned that it's very common for these converters to fail and that a billet converter is the way to go. Well I already paid to have a trans installed with the stock converter so I did some more research and it looks like you can get stock converters to hold up better with some tuning. Following some tutorials and videos I made some changes to the transmission tuning and lockup is noticeably firmer but my shifts still aren't great. Basically I'm hoping someone with more experience tuning these will look at my file and give me tips on what else I can do to A)get shifts to be quicker/crisper and if what I've done to the TCC will actually help longevity. I basically am just looking for a long last nice shifting daily driver. Thanks for any input you can offer!

2009 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 Flex Fuel DOD disabled_tccfixed_rev2-1.hpt

I don't think I'd do what you did with the TCC apply ramp, that seems pretty extreme to me.

Setting the 1-4 gears to disabled the TCC is good. I'd also zero out the TCC desired slip AC off tables.

The change in the MAX pressure settings is little wild too, but that's my opinion. Very little needs to be added for the line pressure when it's a stock engine making stock power.

The shift timing, upshift torque adder normal tables are where you need to change the numbers to help make it shift quicker. If you open the one of the tables it'll show shift times from .6000 to .4501s. You can lower them by 20-30% pretty easy. I wouldn't go faster than .3000 at higher ft/lbs, that is plenty quick for a heavy truck.

You can also adjust the adaptive settings in the pressure section. The on-coming pressure presets for gears 1-4 can be adjusted. The 1-2 shift will have numbers like 13/39/66, do like 18/45/69 for example to add a little. Do that for the rest of them. Then make sure to reset the adapts in the VCM scanner after flashing and prior to starting the engine so it can learn the new settings.

Lots of engine side stuff can be changed too to make it drive better and get power enrichment happening faster and not so fat on fuel.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for taking a look at what I have so far. What would you recommend as far as the tcc apply ramp is concerned? I basically just want to do whatever I can to ensure the stock torque converter lasts a long time and doesn't take out the rest of the trans like it did the last one.

Also thanks for the suggestions on the shift timing tables, I'll have to start experimenting with them to see what I can come up with.

I haven't really gotten into the engine tuning side of things because almost everything I read/watched said the only way to get effective gains was to hook up a wideband o2 sensor and I haven't been motivated enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I don't think I'd do what you did with the TCC apply ramp, that seems pretty extreme to me.

Setting the 1-4 gears to disabled the TCC is good. I'd also zero out the TCC desired slip AC off tables.

The change in the MAX pressure settings is little wild too, but that's my opinion. Very little needs to be added for the line pressure when it's a stock engine making stock power.

The shift timing, upshift torque adder normal tables are where you need to change the numbers to help make it shift quicker. If you open the one of the tables it'll show shift times from .6000 to .4501s. You can lower them by 20-30% pretty easy. I wouldn't go faster than .3000 at higher ft/lbs, that is plenty quick for a heavy truck.

You can also adjust the adaptive settings in the pressure section. The on-coming pressure presets for gears 1-4 can be adjusted. The 1-2 shift will have numbers like 13/39/66, do like 18/45/69 for example to add a little. Do that for the rest of them. Then make sure to reset the adapts in the VCM scanner after flashing and prior to starting the engine so it can learn the new settings.

Lots of engine side stuff can be changed too to make it drive better and get power enrichment happening faster and not so fat on fuel.

where do you go in the scanner to reset adapts?

Potential Tuner
    transmission tab