Thread: Missing something to get this truck out of the hole faster?

Tuner

Missing something to get this truck out of the hole faster?

Hi all,

I've been enjoying my 06 Silverado RCSB over the summer while tuning and making tweaks to what I've done so far. I've had some hiccups along the way, but have gotten this far with the help of some on here as well as scouring the internet for info. Thank you to all who've helped along the way! I've taken this truck to the local dragstrip a few times and can't seem to crack into the 13's which I feel should be very possible with my mods. I've ran plenty of 14.0-14.1@98mph. Cant get my 60' better than a 2.16 with zero tire spin.

Here's my mods:
    5.3L L59
    BTR Truck Cam
    BTR Beehive springs
    1 7/8" Long tubes into factory catback w/ magnaflow muffler
    4L80e swap with level 4 jakes transmission rebuild
    258mm Single disc converter w/ 2600-3000rpm stall speed
    4.10 gears w/ truetrac
    2/4" lowering setup w/qa1 coil overs and caltracs in rear
    17" front/15" rear drag wheel setup
    275/60/15(28" MT ET Street drag radials)

I'm hoping some of you veterans can steer me towards my goal of 13's. I think there's a few mph left in tuning. I don't need my hand held, but I feel like I'm missing something! I read about turning down/off burst knock, but I don't see any timing retard anywhere to think it needs adjusted. I've completely disabled torque management which should be present in the more current log and tune file.

It just feels sluggish out of the hole. Maybe it's because its a 4300lb truck with a semi tame converter. I'm hoping that I'm missing something(timing, burst knock, PE, trans tuning etc). My idle/low rpm MAF eq ratio looks like it needs a little work, but thats below the 4000rpm maf enable speed and I'm not positive that there's something modifying that number in the tune. I've played around with power enrichment as well as the timing map. I feel like the timing map is a little questionable as I copy pasted a c5z06 table as my base and made some tweaks to the idle timing as well as wot timing.

FYI: Step21 is the tune ran for the Sept25 file, and Step 14 for Sept 22 1320!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2006 Silverado RCSB, Cammed, D1X, 5.3L, TBSS Intake, FIC 1650cc Injectors, E85, 1 7/8" LT headers/4L80e swap/4.10 gears

Advanced Tuner
    You need more torque! Perhaps a 4" stroke crank in a 4" bore block would help or a 100 shot.

I have run 3,600-4,000 rpm converters with stock cams for track times. LS engines like alot of stall speed, especially with a hard hit converter. The converter I tow with in my SBC powered van stalls 2,800.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 09-25-2022 at 06:43 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    You need more torque! Perhaps a 4" stroke crank in a 4" bore block would help or a 100 shot.

I have run 3,600-4,000 rpm converters with stock cams for track times. LS engines like alot of stall speed, especially with a hard hit converter. The converter I tow with in my SBC powered van stalls 2,800.
    Haha, I have plans of getting a supercharger over the winter. Just feel like I'm missing something here. I'm hoping my converter loosens up a little with more power. The trans shop locally builds custom converters, and built my unit based around my 800rwhp goal.
    2006 Silverado RCSB, Cammed, D1X, 5.3L, TBSS Intake, FIC 1650cc Injectors, E85, 1 7/8" LT headers/4L80e swap/4.10 gears

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cabech984 View Post
    Haha, I have plans of getting a supercharger over the winter. Just feel like I'm missing something here. I'm hoping my converter loosens up a little with more power. The trans shop locally builds custom converters, and built my unit based around my 800rwhp goal.
    I will look at your tune and datalog later. That being said I have ~500 ft/lbs of torque at the stall speed and my 4L85E/3.73s still feels lame leaving the hole, but it really comes alive at 30 mph and keeps on pulling. No 4L60E post 1-2 flat spot.

Tuner in Training
    Throw a single turbo on it, cheap 76mm T4 with .96 or 1.05 AR turbine . I have a 2003 lq4, flex fuel injectors, std bottom end and stock cam, stock converter, hd2 trans kit, t76 Chinese turbo with billet shell .96 ar turbine, 5lb boost and lights up straight off the line, gets 5lb boost by 3000 rpm. I would suggest going to a 1.05 turbine housing if I did it again.

Advanced Tuner
    Three things I see in the tuning that I would adjust. It is slow to transition to PE and the TPS is at 100% and the PCM is still moving fuel trims. ZERO the delay and minimum RPM. Also in Engine, Torque management under ETC Limits. Under ETC Injector Disable and Power-Hop Inj Disable set all values in both to 255. The way it is setup now the PCM can kill cylinders on large torque increases.

Also have you tried leaving above idle? I have had some vehicles leave best at idle and yet others like 1,500-2,500 rpm with a 3K converter stall speed. Where to launch depends on traction.

Finally add 10-20% to your Fuel to Wall Impact table in the Transitient fuel tab. Its leaning out when the throttle is opened.
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 09-28-2022 at 01:08 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Here's something to think about and look at... This a partial screen shot during your drag run.. This is the actual data collected from the sensor(don't use the interpolate function when exporting to CSV file..) If you were to scroll through this you'll see that you are missing a lot of data.. Try playing with the logging settings to increase how much data you are polling, also try narrowing down what pids you are looking at.. will help increase resolution in your data and help you see any kind of fast acting issues that might not get caught otherwise.

Drag run.jpg

Tuner
    Thanks for the insight, I'll take a look and make a few changes. I did some more MAF tuning before I uploaded these files, and the truck didn't seem to care for them while in open loop. So gotta look at those too.

As far as leaving above idle, I've launched off idle, and max footbrake of around 2600rpm. 60's didn't seem to matter, and both have little to no wheel spin on the 28" radials.

And as far as my data polling, I had no idea that it was missing so much. I'll see what I can do!