Thread: Chasing Knock and boost bypass - 3.0T

Chasing Knock and boost bypass - 3.0T

Lately I've been chasing down some knock on my 13' 3.0T A8L, also figuring out if I can optimize power anywhere else. I'd believe my trans tune is performing well, shifting around 7100-7200 in sport. There isn't any E85 stations near me so a E85 blend isn't possible unfortunately. Fueling seems spot on, right around .82λ. Any tips or tricks? Thanks in advance!
    BASE TRANS V1.1.hpt
    BASE FILE V1.2 .hpt
    A8 V2 45min.hpl
    2013 Audi A8L 3.0T WIP

There are number of reasons why its having that amount of knock.

- Check Spark Plugs
    - Check Injectors
    - Any vibration would set the knock sensors (bad engine mounts, Trans mounts, leaking or vibrating exhaust manifold)
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

ECU, TCU, CPC Online Tuning
    Whatsapp: +971503383340
    Email: [email protected]
    Insta: @xstages.motorsport
    www.xstages.com

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw_50 View Post
    There are number of reasons why its having that amount of knock.

- Check Spark Plugs
    - Check Injectors
    - Any vibration would set the knock sensors (bad engine mounts, Trans mounts, leaking or vibrating exhaust manifold)
    Definitely do need trans mounts at some time in the future, the car has 122k on it, on I believe what are still the original trans mounts and engine mounts. I?ll look into a colder range spark plug. Is there any you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Only6NoTricks View Post
    Lately I've been chasing down some knock on my 13' 3.0T A8L, also figuring out if I can optimize power anywhere else. I'd believe my trans tune is performing well, shifting around 7100-7200 in sport. There isn't any E85 stations near me so a E85 blend isn't possible unfortunately. Fueling seems spot on, right around .82λ. Any tips or tricks? Thanks in advance!
    BASE TRANS V1.1.hpt
    BASE FILE V1.2 .hpt
    A8 V2 45min.hpl
    you need to adjust your spark tables better. your getting knock because your hitting 20*+ timing on 93 octane fuel. you need to back it down some. or get some more octane in the fuel tank. or get meth injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemithis01 View Post
    you need to adjust your spark tables better. your getting knock because your hitting 20*+ timing on 93 octane fuel. you need to back it down some. or get some more octane in the fuel tank. or get meth injection.
    Just to be clear this will be the MBT Spark tables (ECM-29500) Right? To be honest I'm having trouble understanding the mg for airflow. I'm aware its mass airflow, but wouldn't the engine be ingesting a lot more than 1200mg of air? lol.

My apologies if any of my questions are dumb, I'm learning more and more haha.

SS.png
    Last edited by Only6NoTricks; 10-02-2022 at 11:43 AM.
    2013 Audi A8L 3.0T WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Only6NoTricks View Post
    Just to be clear this will be the MBT Spark tables (ECM-29500) Right? To be honest I'm having trouble understanding the mg for airflow. I'm aware its mass airflow, but wouldn't the engine be ingesting a lot more than 1200mg of air? lol.

My apologies if any of my questions are dumb, I'm learning more and more haha.

SS.png
    yes that is the mbt table but you will never get close to that on 93 octane. i looked at your file real quick and noticed your rich base tables are 0 out all but last few rows. those are tables i use to control timing. i would go back to factory tables and make small adjustments on those tables until to find the limit of your set up.

Ahhh I see now. I thought those were the tables the ECU only used in an overly rich event (Leaky injectoro o-ring etc) Thank you!
    2013 Audi A8L 3.0T WIP

Thumbs up

Great success! 0 knock whatsoever. It's time to start adding more to the tables. Weirdly enough however, the car in sport after the revised tune decided it wanted to start shifting at 6500 or less. Before I was doing just about 7200-7300rpm before it shifted
    I generally understand Torque to aircharge, however for the life of me I cant figure out how to stop the car from opening the bypass valve during a pull.

BASE FILE V1.5 .hpt
    22-10-02 18-04-26.hpl

EDIT: I looked over the logs again and I don't think my foot was completely to the floor. Damn flip flops.
    Last edited by Only6NoTricks; 10-02-2022 at 10:23 PM.
    2013 Audi A8L 3.0T WIP