Thread: 98 5.7 vortec cam sensor problem

Potential Tuner

98 5.7 vortec cam sensor problem

I?ve recently rebuilt my engine, due to intake manifold leaking antifreeze in to the crankcase. The only part that had any sign of damage or wear was the distributor gear. So I replaced the distributor with a summit distributor for a gm vortec came with the cam sensor. I also replaced the injectors from SFI to MFI because the fuel regulator was dumping fuel in to the intake. It caused a hydro lock situation so I compression tested and all checked good. I try to start it and I?ll get a back fire out of the exhaust. With hp tuner hooked up I get no reading on the cam advanced and no reading on the injectors on either bank. I have power at all the injectors and with a test light on the pulse side and crank it has power. Also checked the plug at the cam sensor I have the 12v ignition power but not the 5v from the Ecm it reads .02 volts on both the signal and return wires. I have checked both wires for continuity. Also there is no DTC?s showing on the scanner but the check engine light is still on as well as the check gauges light. Is it possible the Ecm went bad? And only on the one circuit with the only new sensor? Also the truck did run before the rebuild. Any help or insight will be appreciated.

I think you need to study your diagrams better - or get better diagrams. There is no 5vref supplied to either CMP or CKP, only fused IGN (+12v).

(diagram for '98 'C' Pickup, since you didn't specify)
    screenshot.29-09-2022 16.13.42.png

All new parts should be immediately suspect, especially store-brand imports like the Summit stuff likely is. A lot of it from anywhere (not just Summit) is the cheapest garbage they were able to source from an anonymous supplier. Even genuine stuff straight from the dealership parts counter is having serious quality problems these days.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I think you need to study your diagrams better - or get better diagrams. There is no 5vref supplied to either CMP or CKP, only fused IGN (+12v).

(diagram for '98 'C' Pickup, since you didn't specify)
    screenshot.29-09-2022 16.13.42.png

All new parts should be immediately suspect, especially store-brand imports like the Summit stuff likely is. A lot of it from anywhere (not just Summit) is the cheapest garbage they were able to source from an anonymous supplier. Even genuine stuff straight from the dealership parts counter is having serious quality problems these days.
    Thanks for the reply and I know what you mean by not trusting any parts now a days. I was assuming it?s supposed to have 5v rev from some of the material I?ve read/watched and yes I?d take it with a grain of salt so I referenced the maf sensor because it also has the 12v ignition hot and 2 wires to the Ecm and the one coming from Ecm was 5v.