Thread: LY6 + Chuck Norris Cam in 07 Tahoe

Potential Tuner

LY6 + Chuck Norris Cam in 07 Tahoe

Hey all, complete noob here. Been searching this forum and watching videos to better understand what's going on but there's a lot to digest. I recently put a 4th gen 6.0 w/ VVT eliminated and BTR's Chuck Norris cam in my 07 Tahoe. Motor I pulled was a 5.3 w/ a mild TSP truck cam that decided it didn't need oil. An acquaintence (friend of a friend) provided me with a base tune and a couple adjustments to get me going. He's currently pretty busy with work so I'm taking up the mantle since it's my wife's kid hauler.

Engine:
    Junkyard 6.0 w/ stock 6.0 heads and intake. Heads were hot tanked, valve jobbed and rebuilt.
    Injectors are from the 5.3 and were sent to get cleaned out and flow tested. Big improvement.
    Cam and associate components from BTR are the only aftermarket compenants, everything else is stock.

I don't have the stock 5.3 tune since I picked up an HP Tuner after I added the TSP cam.

Issues:
    Cold start is pretty solid, but on a hot start up I have to pedal the throttle to get it started.
    Idle is pretty rough. It'll be smooth one moment, rough another, then occasionally start bucking.

Car is drivable, it's the idle currently that I'm having a problem with. When I was poking around the tune file I noticed the Cranking Spark table had some -10 at high temp and low rpm cells. Everything else is the same straight across the board except higher temps (212, 248 & 284). Is that correct or should I adjust those?

Also, I noticed the VVT intake tables were populated instead of zero'd out like in my 5.3 tune. Should these be zero'd, or is there option somewhere to turn it off like there is DOD?

Next question I have, based off looking through other posts, am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks.

EDIT: was trying to include a screen capture, but I screwed something up somewhere....
    Last edited by Triple P; 09-29-2022 at 07:43 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Have you tried changing your start up air flow & idle airflow. Do you have a copy of your tune? I know i had a hell of a time getting my truck to idle right with the truck norris. It took lots of trial and error and long hours of research. The -10 at those temps seem about right with what I have.

Potential Tuner
    I haven't personally. I'd have to look at the other 2 tunes that were sent to better track adjustments. Currently on tune 3. I'm very green and haven't made adjustments just yet, still learning.

Ok, good to know about the -10. I saw post somewhere else where the OP adjusted it up to smooth the display out and had a positve experience. Replies were hit or miss about it though. Tune is attached. It's the last one that was sent to me (acquaintence is not local). I have my own HP tuner and software.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Triple P; 09-30-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Looks like both Startup Idle Speed PN and Target Idle Speed have been tweeked some. Below is a screenshot of the numbers from the initial tune. Looks like numbers were increase on the Startup Idle Speed from 44 on up. Amount varies from an increase of about 40 to an increase of 75. Target Idle Speed was increased from 46 on up.

image_2022-09-30_104048310.png

Potential Tuner
    I corrected a buddies mail order tune previously that had very similar idle speeds. In my experience anything below 775 when it was hot wouldn't idle when hot and had tough time starting. I set minimum idles to 850 and sent him on his way had him log it and come back it was much better. so i tweaked airflow and was able to get it down to 775 at the lowest. Again this was just what worked for me. i would hook up the vcm scanner and go to the controls drive it till its hot and wanting to act up, then try bumping the idle up and changing air flow. Just have to see the effect of take off after playing with airflow. Hope this helps.

Potential Tuner
    Cool thanks, will bump up both tables and see what happens.

Potential Tuner
    Best of luck

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila0221 View Post
    Best of luck
    Thanks. Looks like VVT was disabled in the tune (finally found out how). Made those adjustments and then made 7 logging runs to tweak the VE table. It's better, but seems like there's plenty more to do lol. Been following the video by Rope Goat Garage for SD tuning as well as some other posts on here.

Potential Tuner
    When you talk about changing airflow, are you talking about tuning the MAF?

So far all my LTFT table logs have had all had negative numbers. Where I've continually had low numbers is at idle while in gear or in park.
    Last edited by Triple P; 10-03-2022 at 05:44 PM.

Tuner
    read this thread and it will get you going. (its actually just above this thread ATM). Follow the steps and get your base running airflow figured out and you will see a big difference.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e-tuning-guide
    2010 /2SS/Long Tubes/ Magnaflow axle back/LSA Conversion/ 2 bar OS running / Stock Blower Pulley...for now

Potential Tuner
    Thanks! Just came across that one a couple days ago. I'm having an issue getting the RPM error chart to populate. I tried scanning a couple times yesterday, but am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I read through a good chunk of the thread a couple times, and took my time setting up the tune. Will have to triple check. Chart, graph and layout files from that thread (that bigmike42 posted) are what I'm using.