Thread: Misfire Tables and Relationship to CEL and DTCs - Can someone answer my questions?

Potential Tuner

Misfire Tables and Relationship to CEL and DTCs - Can someone answer my questions?

I'm trying to figure out what the misfire tables actually mean. Hopefully someone can help. Can someone explain or point me to info that will explain the following:
    -Why three different categories of mode tables, Revolution, Cylinder and SCD?
    -Does SCD mode mean: Selective Cylinder Deactivation or something else?

-The X axis on the tables is rpm, the Y axis is labeled as %. Is this % load on the engine?
    -With a LS7 and Manual trans, can I assume the DOD tables are not used? SCD tables?

Based on the descriptions for the tables, such as Misfire Revolution Mode Event Time - Normal: Maximum time between events to declare a misfire., I assume the table values are a time value.
    -Are the table misfire values in milliseconds, seconds, minutes or not a time value at all?
    -It's unclear to me how increasing the maximum time between events to declare a misfire prevents inadvertent misfire codes. Can someone explain.

The tuner who initially tunned the LS7 in my 2015 Z/28 Camaro after a more aggressive cam was installed, basically took all the misfire tables and multiplied the values by 4.
    Over the weekend, while on the road course at Watkins Glen, I experienced a misfire condition that has increased to the engine only running on 7 cylinders. I have not seen a CEL, solid or flashing, and only show 20 misfire counts on cylinder 6, 1 count on cylinder 5 and 0 on all others in the Mode 6 data. Based on the LS firing order I figure the count on cylinder 5 is because it follows 6 in the firing order.
    -How do the misfire tables affect the raw misfire counts seen in Mode 6 OBD2 data and the activation of DTCs P0300 thru P0308?

I am not looking for how to troubleshoot the misfire, I know how to determine if it's the plug, plug wire, coil, fuel injector, etc. I'm looking to understand what the misfire tables mean and do. Thanks in advance to those who share their knowledge or can point me to the information.
    Last edited by rlathrop; 10-05-2022 at 05:21 PM.