Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stalling out when returning to idle in park or gear

You are still having misfire issues on #1, and #6, and you are still running rich in the idle areas of your VE table. It shows you are ON AVERAGE 5% RICH in the 800 @ 65 cell, and 9% RICH in the 800 @ 70 cell. The engine is likely running RICHER than those #'s indicate because the misfires should be causing it to run LEAN and it's not showing lean... So... STOP TUNING and fix the misfires. In case I'm not clear-FIX THE MISFIRES NOW. Any attempts at tuning right now are just wasted time as all data will have to change due to the misfires.

Tuner in Training
    I have a 1999 Silverado 5.3l (swap) btr stage 3 cam. Running 39lb's injectors.
    I would have to agree with HATEHPTUNERS that VE-Table is WOW!!!
    I have a tune (Posted) that I'm still working with. It could help you?? On the other hand listen to HATEHPTUNERS he's vary knowledgeable.

Tuner in Training
    Great thread guys and i'm chasing exceedingly similar issues with a very similar combo. Ls1, 236/242 on a 110 split, DBC, hacky speed density tune, Th350 with no VSS input.

Before i start working my way through (as a similar level of noob) i've noticed something on my car which i can't suss out. When i fire it up, at temp, for the first 30seconds if i blip the throttle it will rev, come down, catch and sit for a moment, then settle to idle.

After about a minute, it will rev, then come right down and stall. This is consistent at cold start or hot start. Do you know what function is active for say, 30-45 seconds after fire up that catches the idle then goes away after 1 min? I notice the 02s behave differently in the two scenarios. I've been chasing air and timing but maybe it's fuel and there are enrichment tables at play. I'm running a wide band but it doesn't show significant discrepancy. Underspeed seems to throw timing in to try catch but too late.

Here's the log of that

throttle blips catch then stall.hpl
    Current best tune licensed RTT.hpt
    Last edited by HQforme; 11-19-2022 at 09:57 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for my absence, I ended up pulling my engine and finding all kinds of bad stuff. I had 2 slightly bent valves and had wiped out #3 and #4 cam bearings as well as a frigged up pickup tube o ring from it getting gas washed last year on my first attempt to get it running. So long story short its finally back together all new bearings and rings plus a new oil pump. I got it running for the first time today. Now my initial issue with the stalling is solved. I installed a dakota digital 8000ppm vss adaptor on my th350 wired back to my harness and bam, no more stalling coming back to idle. I also ditched the china ss2 cam for a used lunati street/strip cam, specs are 222/230 duration with .534/.544 lift on a 114 lsa, part #20540505lun. I'm still working through some issues, i didn't have any iac data in this log but wen i went to check the plug after i stopped recording it was showing 189 on the scanner with the car off, ill look in to that more tomorrow. It also show a few misfires but that happened on first start and didn't change throughout the rest of the log. I ended with positive 9 on my ltft on bank 2 and +3.9 on bank 1. This was just a idle log and i'm going to try to get it registered this week so i can actually get a real log. I'm still new to this and tying to figure out how to set uo the ltft vs stft graph. Ill post up my current tune and log thanks again to HATEHPTUNERS for all his help.fresh changes lunati cam.hptfirst log afte refresh.hpl

Need to log dynamic air, tps %, and why are your IAC counts showing "0" for the duration of the log... You started the log AFTER you started the engine. I would guess you have the throttle blade cracked too far open at this time as your PCM is not controlling idle.. .look at your spark.. the PCM is pulling ALL of the timing at some points, and cutting it in half at other points, trying to control the engine idle.. but it can't because your throttle blade is either open too far, OR.. you have a vacuum leak? IAC counts=ZERO.. The engine IS getting that air from somewhere else...... Look at the STIT... -6.5 g/s at some points... that would be subtracting 99% of what is in your BRAF table which you know cannot be accurate.. WHERE IS THE ENGINE GETTING THE AIR FROM? That is the question for the day, and what must be figured out before you do anything else.