Thread: 06 5.9 Exhaust Brake

Tuner in Training

06 5.9 Exhaust Brake

Under trans>torque converter>apply/release there are tables for exhaust brake active. I haven't seen any other tables for enabling an exhaust brake. Is there a table or switch somewhere to enable an exhaust brake? How would the system recognize there is an exhaust brake installed?

Tuner in Training
    i havent noticed an exhaust brake option in the tune file. i dont have my computer with hp tuners in front of me. but i do have an exhaust brake on my 06 mega cab 6 speed. its an aftermarket bd power turbo mounted exhaust brake. the wiring for it does run to the PCM to pins 39 and 42. the PCM does turn the brake on and off when the throttle gets depressed. the pcm will also disable the brake at idle once the engine is up to operating temp.
    so i dont know if the 2006 PCM has the ability to run the factory exhaust brake used in the later trucks but maybe...

Banned
    Exhaust brake is already enabled in the 2006 trucks whether it has one installed or not, the only exception is the 2005 automatics that does not have it enabled and the option isn?t available in HPT to enable them on the 2005 autos.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. So does that mean with an exhaust brake active the pcm can recognize that and use a different table for TC apply/release?

Banned
    The ECM doesn?t recognize anything, it?s either enabled or it?s disabled in the calibration, that?s it. If it?s enabled it?ll turn on the output for the exhaust brake when predetermined conditions set in the ECM allow for the output to be turned on and if it?s disabled in the ECM it won?t turn on the output. The ECM cannot know if an exhaust brake is actually connected or not.