Thread: VE tuning filters

Tuner in Training

VE tuning filters

What filters do you recommend I use for my AFR error graph to tune VE?

2004 LM7
    M5
    Factory P59
    mild cam upgrade
    headers
    aftermarket intake

Tuner in Training
    No need to filter anything out huh?

This is really a Gen 3 specific question since the PIDs and hardware is different for about every platform. And it also depends on how you're tuning - for instance, doing part-throttle using trims you'd want to filter out anything that's not EQ = 1, but not if wideband tuning.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for that blindsquirrel. I am using a wideband to get my AFR error. Have it in SD and will be starting out on part throttle. I'm new at this so I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can. I've often seen comments about it being best to be smooth on the throttle changes but that seems to be a challenge when shifting a manual. Wondering if there are things I should be filtering out like low/0 throttle or pedal position, quick throttle position changes, or anything else, or just drive as smooth as I can and not worry about it.

Senior Tuner
    even if ive spent hours making up and testing filters i still find myself going back manually and copying over just the good data i want, thats how it was when i first got into this and it seems to be what im use to

Please don't learn this using AFR, use EQ ratio from the start. Someday you'll end up messin' with flex fuel and you'll have to un-learn everything you did with AFR. EQ is easier anyhow.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimateMe View Post
    What filters do you recommend I use for my AFR error graph to tune VE?

2004 LM7
    M5
    Factory P59
    mild cam upgrade
    headers
    aftermarket intake

I filter by fuel trim cell a lot. idle, decel, WOT, all have different fuel trim cells you can include or exclude.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate the feedback!

07GTS - that would require this noob to recognize said good data vs bad. LOL

blindsquirrel - I'll remember that should I ever do anything beyond this swap project (this is in my 69 Camaro.)

Alvin - can you give me an idea of the rpm and kPa limits of the zones? I thought I saw a VE table diagram showing those zones some time ago but don't remember where.