Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Controller Unlocker: timed out

Potential Tuner

Controller Unlocker: timed out

VCMSuiteInfo.txtwas trying to load my 1st tune and wouldn't you know.....complete fail! Everything appeared to be working well, connected, bootloader unlocking....erasing ....... controller timed out and will not reconnect, car won't start, dash lights up except for check engine light. can't read the vehicle either. I just finished putting the car back today, took for a short ride and decided I would load up the tune. Will this thing reset eventually and let me load the tune. This is a brand new unit and cable. Am I missing something? can not detect vehicle protocol. wth did I do. laptop wasn't plugged in, car voltage was good.

Thanks
    Last edited by simple2me; 06-11-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    i had that happen to me a couple times with my old 2015 cruze ... i just unplugged everything and re plugged it in which worked sometimes ... other times i had to remove the battery cables for a couple mins and try again

Potential Tuner
    I've tried disconnecting several times. I got the loading bootloader, erasing.... then timed out 3 different times. I'll try again tomorrow. Hope I don't need to buy another pcm. It does nothing at all now.

Advanced Tuner
    what vehicle ... nm i saw trailblazler

Advanced Tuner
    maybe try using the earlier non beta version of hptuners before the 4.0 version

Potential Tuner
    I just don't give up and tried again. The last time it worked and all is good now. I definitely won't be trying to load any tunes away from the house. Lol

Potential Tuner
    If anyone has a tune for 07 trailblazer 4.2 and would love to share. Send to [email protected]. new to all of this. Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    check your email

Potential Tuner
    2013 F-150 5.0 STX 6R80
    VCM Suite v4.0
    Maybe 1 outta 20 tries will it write calibrate. The rest of the time it's "controller unlocker timed out". When it does write a cal it ALWAYS sets a P0605 code.
    I tried on two different laptops WITH the batteries fully charged, AND with and without their chargers plugged in. I also tried the '15 second rule' to have the key on for at least 15 seconds before beginning a write. I also tried with a battery charger on the vehicle battery and without. I tried different USB cables, different tune files. Nothing. I have been having this problem (and others) for over a year, even with previous versions of the software. This is about the last straw with this buggy-glitchy program. I'm afraid to write a "complete write" for fear of the very probable temporary "bricking" of my PCM. I have had the program brick my PCM more times than I can count, only to have to wait about 20 minutes to retry maybe with success, but it always leaves my stomach in a knot when I click that "write" button.
    If anyone has a fix for these problems, please let me know, otherwise I'll have to throw this thing up on eBay and be rid of it and it's headaches.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by simple2me View Post
    I just don't give up and tried again. The last time it worked and all is good now. I definitely won't be trying to load any tunes away from the house. Lol
    I would suggest you open a support ticket at https://support.hptuners.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Create a support ticket? What for?
    Do you have a solution?
    A search of the forums and online state that there are many, many users that have the very same problem I have. BUT no solutions... Did they also create support tickets??? What were their solutions to this well documented, ubiquitous problem?
    Clicking the "write complete" button feels like jumping off a cliff into waters that you don't know the depth of...

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    you should do it because its providing proof of issue so it can be tracked and fixed across the proper vin and OS ranges.
    the first filing takes some time but after you know where to go and what to do it takes less than 10 minutes to provide them with the requested material to produce a sound case with evidence to help make the product better.

instead of getting snooty about how its been two weeks or less and there are no fixes how about you make yourself apart of the solution.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPeople View Post
    2013 F-150 5.0 STX 6R80
    VCM Suite v4.0
    MPVI or MPVI2?

Potential Tuner
    So what you're saying is:, Jump through the hoops for the betterment of the program's future, all the while just live with the problem.
    BTW it's been a couple of years I've been dealing with this problem (not two weeks). I just got tired of NOT finding answers, and decided to spout off, figured there's no solutions anyways, so why not squawk some.
    Clicking the "write complete" button feels like jumping off a cliff into waters that you don't know the depth of...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chainyanker View Post
    mpvi or mpvi2?
    mpvi

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPeople View Post
    So what you're saying is:, Jump through the hoops for the betterment of the program's future, all the while just live with the problem.
    BTW it's been a couple of years I've been dealing with this problem (not two weeks). I just got tired of NOT finding answers, and decided to spout off, figured there's no solutions anyways, so why not squawk some.

i cant speak for your annual problem but typically post release of new software like they have recently done with the MPVI2 system we see lots of issue pop up regarding communication and flash errors. the only way they get fixed is to submit them with an info log to tech. the more people that do so the more vehicles that get fixed. the only reason i said to do it was me thinking "well what if the ecu range doesn't cover his vehicle yet....submitting may extend the range and solve the issue."

i understand your frustrated but constant contact with tech, which is typically a pain due to having to get your points across correctly, typically results in the fastest repairs. I personally attach lots of screen shots of errors and have even used screen capture software to document bugs.

i think i understand where your coming from better now after explaining your time frame of the issue. I could only assume without that information that you were experiencing issues from the latest software release.

question for you: have you tried deleting the mpvi drivers in the device manager and then reinstall the software to install the latest set? in the past i had a comm error that didn't go away after software removal/re-install and it was because my windows 7 system was not deleting the drivers which ended up having some issue i couldn't really explain since i'm not a computer wizard.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by simple2me View Post
    VCMSuiteInfo.txtwas trying to load my 1st tune and wouldn't you know.....complete fail! Everything appeared to be working well, connected, bootloader unlocking....erasing ....... controller timed out and will not reconnect, car won't start, dash lights up except for check engine light. can't read the vehicle either. I just finished putting the car back today, took for a short ride and decided I would load up the tune. Will this thing reset eventually and let me load the tune. This is a brand new unit and cable. Am I missing something? can not detect vehicle protocol. wth did I do. laptop wasn't plugged in, car voltage was good.

Thanks
    Hello simple2me...…………..I could have written this myself this afternoon.

The exact same thing happened to me today. Everything was downloading fine and then it stopped and the nice green line was giving me the progress and then everything stopped.

I now have a Controller Unlocker: Timed out message in the Vehicle Writer dialog box and a FAILED next to my Hardware type.

My dash lights up but the car is dead...………..it won't start.

The car we are talking about is a GM Cadillac ATS-V.

Where are you at now w/ this issue?

Can you give me any ideas on what to do?

Can anyone out there help me...……..because when my wife finds out I screwed up my $75K ATS-V I will be a Dead Man Walking.

Regards

Potential Tuner
    Got the same issue today.

Car was parked working fine yesterday evening, so I highly doubt something broke while parked overnight.

Got in this morning, tried to write calibration only with a tune barely different from the previous one. Got Controller Unlocker : Timed out, and everytime since. Car cranks but wont start. cant write, read or scan either. nothing will do. Car is immobilized now. Tried over and over in every way I could and nothing works. Had Hptuner with MPVI2 for only about a couple week... this doesn't feel good.

Potential Tuner

same thing

Quote Originally Posted by 357IS View Post
    Got the same issue today.

Car was parked working fine yesterday evening, so I highly doubt something broke while parked overnight.

Got in this morning, tried to write calibration only with a tune barely different from the previous one. Got Controller Unlocker : Timed out, and everytime since. Car cranks but wont start. cant write, read or scan either. nothing will do. Car is immobilized now. Tried over and over in every way I could and nothing works. Had Hptuner with MPVI2 for only about a couple week... this doesn't feel good.

Potential Tuner
    I verified firmware prior to writing a 2000 TA. Key on, waited 15sec, tried to write and VCM crashed.

Now VCM crashes or error stating controller unlocker timed out.

I?ve verified system voltage, changed usb cords, and tried a different computer...

Car will not start and I cannot connect to scanner now.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Proelky; 08-04-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Grammar