Thread: VVT tweaking?

Advanced Tuner

VVT tweaking?

I didn't see any VVT stuff here and it seems nobody messes with it, but surely there are improvements to be made.
    I'm old school so this tiny cam and it's timing are killin me, but I set it to what my old school brain thinks would work better. I'm also not a turbo guy when it comes to cams but I don't really see how it would be different, at least not the intake. I'm sure the Exhaust is different but not sure how yet so I haven't modded it yet.
    So I submit this Intake chart for scrutiny and am prepared for reasons why it's a bad idea?

Intake VVT.jpg
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    I didn't see any VVT stuff here and it seems nobody messes with it, but surely there are improvements to be made.
    I'm old school so this tiny cam and it's timing are killin me, but I set it to what my old school brain thinks would work better. I'm also not a turbo guy when it comes to cams but I don't really see how it would be different, at least not the intake. I'm sure the Exhaust is different but not sure how yet so I haven't modded it yet.
    So I submit this Intake chart for scrutiny and am prepared for reasons why it's a bad idea?

Intake VVT.jpg
    You could squeeze some power out of it but really it depends on the application and mods you have.

You can test by changing small numbers to check if their is any improvements whether its intake, exhaust or both
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

ECU, TCU, CPC Online Tuning
    Whatsapp: +971503383340
    Email: [email protected]
    Insta: @xstages.motorsport
    www.xstages.com

Advanced Tuner
    I was never one to do a little at a time, so I went all the way all at once. Not the one I posted but very similar, plus I did the exhaust. It felt different but my acceleration was the same. So I'm guessing those oem #'s are for emissions and excessive. Hard to guesstimate what ideal is because I've never hotrodded an eng with such a small cam and I don't know how they act, just that they sucked. So I can see having to move the lobe centerlines to compensate but the oem #'s are excessive.
    Fixed cam engines more or less has the same lobe centerline needs so I was hoping there was a chart somewhere for typical VVT #'s, but apparently not. The very few people that I've found online who have dialed in VVT, aren't sharing >:|
    Even something simple like going past xx deg is pointless, or xx deg per 1k rpm is ideal. Or some clue for NA vs turbo on the Ex side. Oem the Ex is super advanced mid range, then advances even further with rpm. Wth? Is that a smog thing or somehow helps the turbo? Or maybe it's to lower horsepower #'s on purpose to ensure sales of 63's?

As you may recall, I have zero mods, excluding K&N filters. I sure would like to have post turbo goodies like the exit pipe and high flow cats, but then I priced them. I'd probably get popped during smog check anyway.

Fyi I have been able to squeeze more from this thing over the past couple months, and over 100 trial and error tunes now. Comparing my runs via the Scanner program I'm virtually identical to a 2012 C63 posted by quaalude where he's running 11.8sec. I'm right there with him in all his runs 40-90mph. 90+ I'm slightly slower, and my 1st gear still sucks, but I'd love to race this guy and see. If I had to guess I'd say I'm 12.5 or better but I'll probably never know.
    My Meth kit is still not installed but as summer temps are killin my power I have more motorvation to do it. I decided it's too much work to do it properly so I plan on shooting 100% Meth from inside the airboxes so the turbos can work better, which I believe will work better than the correct install anyway. Then later, maybe, install one inj on the inlet side of the intercooler with just water.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Different platform, but this is good reading on cam timing for turbo cars:

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...please.411951/

Potential Tuner
    I’m about to go into the NA M156 with LSA in mind. The VVT for it states it can have 40 degrees of VVT range it can play with.