Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had a dog and its name was smarty

I had a dog and its name was smarty

I have been running around with my smarty jr on the 100hp tune for awhile now. Finally decided to get my truck licensed and pulled the smarty tune. I'm shocked how much snappier the truck is with the stock tune from hp! Its is much more responsive between shifts. Truck is an 05 6speed. I'm guessing the smarty is ment more for an auto

The smarty certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Usually for a stock truck the smarty jr. is a pretty good tow tune though. I've never logged one or seen what they are doing for parameters but the trucks I've rode in with them seem alright.
    They certainly don't hold a candle to a good custom tune though!

Banned
    Definitely all about the custom tuning, platform is pretty irrelevant for most things, it?s the custom tuning itself which doesn?t fall into the same sandbox as boxed tunes. For boxes tunes though, Smarty does better than others on the CR?s, like Superchips... Smarty doesn?t change a whole lot, lift some limiters and raise the timing, rp and pulsewidth in the upper end only.
    Last edited by Jim P; 08-18-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Banned
    FYI stock tune is stock tune is stock tune. Zero difference between flashing stock with Chrysler, Smarty, HPT or other. I ran a smarty S06 with TNT-R sw#7 on my old 05 6 speed manual, did quite well.

I understand the ol butt Dyno is pretty inaccurate, but the engine seems so much smoother and faster off the line. The biggest things I lost with the smarty was my truck pretty much falls on its face around 2k now. My wot run is nothing compared to the smarty. But honestly the way I drive my truck, dyno numbers and wide open pulls don’t interest me much.

Banned
    The butt dyno is highly inaccurate lol. The smarty jr holds nothing against the s06 or touch either, very little adjustable with it, I don?t get why the still even make it lol. If you download their UDC software, UDC not UDC Pro RT, you can view some demo tunes that are a rough and close presentation of the timing, rp and pulsewidth they do, of course you can?t see the limiters they adjust. But if you look, even if you data log and compare against a stock tune data log, low to high commanded fuel in the low to mid rpm range is basically stock in all Smarty tunes.

Tuner
    06ram2500smartyinstalled.hpt

here is the smarty S06 ( full version ) file i extracted from an 06 ram 2500, setting 9. kinda crazy what they got away with back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Dicus View Post

here is the smarty S06 ( full version ) file i extracted from an 06 ram 2500, setting 9. kinda crazy what they got away with back then.
    Holy wow wow wow, I'm not a dodge guy but that looks like pretty poor fueling control. It's almost setup like a light switch for fueling, on or off no in-between lol. I'd love to see a stock file, Do you have stock 06 ram file by chance?

Tuner

Potential Tuner

You wouldn't be able to post the file from all the settings on you smarty would you. Or at least the odd number settings

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcummins03 View Post
    You wouldn't be able to post the file from all the settings on you smarty would you. Or at least the odd number settings
    Looking for an easy way to make a tune?

You're honestly best off to smooth the pedal and torque to fuel tables, then increase the torque limiters and then go to town. Start off smoothing the main timing table, base pressure table and pulse conversion table. A good rule of thumb is that for every 100 microseconds, use 1 degree of timing. Best performance occurs when the injection event occurs 50% BTDC and 50% ATDC. For FE, set the post open times and timing to 0 (eliminating the post injection event).

Banned
    Don?t smooth pulsewidth table and that?s false about setting post to zero for fuel economy. There is no discernible difference noticed by turning post injection off. 99.99% of people wouldn?t even be able tell it were to be off just by driving.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Don?t smooth pulsewidth table and that?s false about setting post to zero for fuel economy. There is no discernible difference noticed by turning post injection off. 99.99% of people wouldn?t even be able tell it were to be off just by driving.
    Depends on how you smooth and the part of the pulse table...

I disagree about the post injection event. On the third gens I have seen 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement. On the fourth gens, especially the 13 to 17 trucks, I have seen 2 to 3 mpg improvement by disabling the post pulse (on an offroad tuned truck).

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_hawk View Post
    Depends on how you smooth and the part of the pulse table...

I disagree about the post injection event. On the third gens I have seen 1 to 1.5 mpg improvement. On the fourth gens, especially the 13 to 17 trucks, I have seen 2 to 3 mpg improvement by disabling the post pulse (on an offroad tuned truck).
    I'm curious why you would smooth out a calibrated table to make it not calibrated? Do you also smooth out IAT sensor voltage or MAP sensor voltage as well? There is no reason unless your injectors are bigger/overs or just old and you had them on a flow bench to know where to adjust the table. Otherwise how do you know you're going in the right direction?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    I'm curious why you would smooth out a calibrated table to make it not calibrated? Do you also smooth out IAT sensor voltage or MAP sensor voltage as well? There is no reason unless your injectors are bigger/overs or just old and you had them on a flow bench to know where to adjust the table. Otherwise how do you know you're going in the right direction?

I have tested enough injectors on a bench and ran tested/ known injectors engines with CAS to understand the impact of pulsewidth. That's where many in the aftermarket lack, real combustion data relative to hard parts and calibrations. One of the advantages of living and working in MI...

Banned
    Because location of where one lives and works is relevant? Unless flow testing stock injectors for a full remap, which is cost and not worth the cost on stock injectors, stock table can be left alone except where desired to turn up fueling output from the stock injectors. Blindly smoothing a stock table isn?t worth it either.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Because location of where one lives and works is relevant? Unless flow testing stock injectors for a full remap, which is cost and not worth the cost on stock injectors, stock table can be left alone except where desired to turn up fueling output from the stock injectors. Blindly smoothing a stock table isn?t worth it either.
    My point is that where I live is due to my profession which I am fortunate enough to reap benefit outside of work. Injector and engine testing with full instrumentation is what I do.

I would argue that smoothing any table is smoothing a calibration. Doesn't matter if it is model based or a transfer function.

Many people with an aftermarket calibration tool are doing it blindly. Unless they have a dyno, CAS or emissions equipment.

The easiest gains are like I stated above. Most stock tunes don't permit max commanded torque to be reached. An easy 60 to 80 HP is able to be gained.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_hawk View Post
    I have tested enough injectors on a bench and ran tested/ known injectors engines with CAS to understand the impact of pulsewidth. That's where many in the aftermarket lack, real combustion data relative to hard parts and calibrations. One of the advantages of living and working in MI...
    Look i'm not here to bust your balls or here to say you're wrong, but telling someone to go smooth that table blindly is different than you knowing where to smooth that table based on actual data. He will be going in blind unless you show him data or adjust it for him, That is what i am getting at. Also I'd love to see any data showing these power/efficiency increases vs PW, i'm all about learning and sharing information with others to better the overall tuning community.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    Look i'm not here to bust your balls or here to say you're wrong, but telling someone to go smooth that table blindly is different than you knowing where to smooth that table based on actual data. He will be going in blind unless you show him data or adjust it for him, That is what i am getting at. Also I'd love to see any data showing these power/efficiency increases vs PW, i'm all about learning and sharing information with others to better the overall tuning community.
    I mistook your post, my apologies.

I will dig up some data and figure out how to post it. I am here to learn and contribute.