Thread: Go-Pro GPS will not display/work

Potential Tuner

Go-Pro GPS will not display/work

Hi all
    I?m new to this software and I?m having trouble using it!
    I have a Go-Pro 5 black GPS is set to on after recording a race I try to get it edited through this software here?s what I do:
    Open Race Render, add file, select Go-Pro file, a popup is telling me this is part of a set do I want to import the full set, select yes.
    Then a popup tells me the file has embedded GPS do I want to add to my project? Yes
    Now I select an overlay.
    I now see my video in the display screen with the overlay.
    I can play the video but no overlay items work! And I just cannot see why?
    Also the videos are not in the correct order I go from 80% of the race then into the pit lane!!
    I?m sure it?s a setting I?ve missed but what one I don?t know, any help/advice would be great thank you in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroW View Post
    Hi all
    I?m new to this software and I?m having trouble using it!
    I have a Go-Pro 5 black GPS is set to on after recording a race I try to get it edited through this software here?s what I do:
    Open Race Render, add file, select Go-Pro file, a popup is telling me this is part of a set do I want to import the full set, select yes.
    Then a popup tells me the file has embedded GPS do I want to add to my project? Yes
    Now I select an overlay.
    I now see my video in the display screen with the overlay.
    I can play the video but no overlay items work! And I just cannot see why?
    Also the videos are not in the correct order I go from 80% of the race then into the pit lane!!
    I?m sure it?s a setting I?ve missed but what one I don?t know, any help/advice would be great thank you in advance.
    RaceRender can detect when there are multiple files in the set, but it does this based on the filename. So, it's important to make sure you don't change the filenames at all or videos could be skipped or ordered incorrectly. I think it might be important to select the very first video from the set of videos from the GoPro (later videos have a different numbering scheme from the first file; so you just need to pick the oldest one).

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
    RaceRender can detect when there are multiple files in the set, but it does this based on the filename. So, it's important to make sure you don't change the filenames at all or videos could be skipped or ordered incorrectly. I think it might be important to select the very first video from the set of videos from the GoPro (later videos have a different numbering scheme from the first file; so you just need to pick the oldest one).
    Thanks for the repy no file name were changed the set was downloaded direct from the memory card, GOPR0109, GP010109, GP020109, the first file being GOPR0109. once imported into Race Render I have the three video files plus GOPR0109-RR_Data_Merged the GPS file, but when I play the files in preview window none of the GPS works IE no speed no track no gforce no lap time nothingat all.
    I have just noticed that the overlay only works on the first file once I get to the second file the overlay stops!
    Last edited by PedroW; 09-09-2021 at 05:19 AM. Reason: adding info

I have occasionally seen that happen when there was corrupted GPS data... seemed to be more common with the HERO 5/6 than with the 7 I now use.

Unfortunately, when the problems occurred, it tended to affect the entire thing and didn't appear recoverable. I was also not able to get data out of them in GoPro's own software in that case, so that's usually a helpful indicator.

The first thing to try, in case it's salvageable, is to add a single file individually to RaceRender and see if that works... Add the second file (GP010109 in this case) and click "No" when it asks to import the full set. If that gives you working data and video, then the solution may be to just exclude the problematic file(s), which can be done by moving them to a different folder so that RaceRender doesn't see them.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your reply, I’ve been using the Go-Pro hero 5 black since around July 2019 along with the Go-pro Quik software without a problem until I believe it was a windows 10 update screwed the software and it now locks when I go to create mode! Go-pro could/will not help as they say it’s no longer supported, this is the only reason I bought this software.
    Now I’m being told for the first time and the first time I use the software it’s the camera’s fault? I’m finding this a bit hard to believe to be honest, going by my previous experience with the camera and software.