Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LML Tuning

Tuner in Training

LML Tuning

I just purchased HPT primarily for a couple other vehicles, but I'm thinking I may want to use it on my LML as well.

Currently I have a tune from a vendor, using ezlync, that has recently had some poor reviews on the quality of their tunes. These are the issues I am having:
    1. At idle it goes back and forth between a deep rumble and a high pitch whistle, like every 2 or 3 seconds. I prefer the sound of the rumble, but want whatever is best for the vehicle in terms of reliability and performance.
    2. It flutters when you let off the accelerator pedal, and I have heard that is bad, so I would like to fix that.

What sort of things can I look for in the tune to edit in HPT to resolve these issues?

Thanks!

Banned
    Emissions intact or no?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Emissions intact or no?
    Last edited by putergod; 05-06-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Banned
    Being an LML, whatever tuning is on it for off-road (no emissions equipment), you won?t be able to do a read of the ECM and get the tuning on it to adjust to your liking. HP Tuners VCM editor will generate a stock file for you and it will not be set for emissions off, so using it will cause the truck to throw codes and go into derate.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Being an LML, whatever tuning is on it for off-road (no emissions equipment), you won?t be able to do a read of the ECM and get the tuning on it to adjust to your liking. HP Tuners VCM editor will generate a stock file for you and it will not be set for emissions off, so using it will cause the truck to throw codes and go into derate.
    Well that sucks.

Yes LML have a write only ecm. HPT populates a stock file to tune from as Jim said. LMM and before are read/write
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Tuner in Training
    Then why list it as supported? Doesn't sound very supported...

Banned
    Because emissions tampering is illegal and thus emissions parameters isn?t openly available. Many businesses have been shut down in the USA with extreme fines for tampering with emissions.

Banned
    Also, the way the LML ECM?s are designed, they aren?t designed to have whatever is stored in them to be read.

Tuner in Training
    My question didn't really have anything to do with emissions.... However, on off-road vehicles, it's not illegal, but that's not really the topic. Just think it's odd the PCM can't be read.

Tuner in Training
    Does this mean the TCM also can't be read?

Banned
    Actually unless it came without emissions to begin with, it is illegal. Many people with more money than you have argued the legality of it in court stating off-road use and have lost. I don?t know about the TCM, but the ECM can?t be read on the LML. Doesn?t mean it?s not very supported. The software provides you a tune file.
    Last edited by Jim P; 05-07-2021 at 05:35 AM.

TCM is read/write

Potential Tuner
    I'm working on tuning my 2015 LML, I was able to read my ECM with my MVPI2 and get my stock tune parameters. I have been tinkering with my DTC screen and trying to figure out the fuel flow charts. I would like to hear your experiences with your tune. I'm down here in west Texas so I'm deleting my truck. I've got a tune from my 09 LMM that was supposed to be a 40hp tune and delete. That truck ran good and got about 20-22mpg on the highway. I would like to get close to that out of this truck.

Banned
    LML can?t be read. The MPVI2 does a call for your VIN number and calibrations and the software generates a stock file for you. Deletes involves much more than the DTC?s.

Potential Tuner
    I stand to be corrected, it did give me a stock file. Jim P, are you on here to help people wanting to learn or just argue about people wanting to delete the emissions?

Banned
    I?m not arguing anything. Nothing but facts. Personally I don?t care what a person does to their vehicle but I don?t divulge how deletes are done either.

Jim P.

if I have a 2011 LML and cant read it. Does that mean when I write it I will be only writing to the tables that HP Tuners has provided in their Stock Tune?
    So not writing to other areas that may have some other info already there.
    I think you know where I'm going with that.

Tuner in Training
    I have experience using HP on LS engines. Now I'm having issue with LML in 2012 Silverado 2500. Dealer has failed to fix twice and looking for alternative. Can you monitor when regen is active and/or manually initiate regen. Primary (permanent) codes are below. Any general thoughts on using HP to diagnose & fix this? No interest in removing/defeating emissions system.

P0101 - permanent
    P11CB - history mil
    NOX 11 611ppm
    NOX 12 149ppm

Tuner
    You can manually enable Regen with GDS2 and a MDI interface. P0101 can be a broad code. Could have an intake leak or exhaust leak. Or, could just be a bad MAF sensor. with your NOX1 being that high, Id say you have a leak somewhere