Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Open Loop Maf Tuning

Potential Tuner
    so by maxing out the c/l temp, does that mean i dont need to disconnect the o2 sensor?

also i thought blow thru boost applications like turbos dont the enable the egr at least that how my canned tune was

Senior Tuner
    Again, correct on the O2 sensor. Back when we started tuning V6's in HP we didn't have access to commanded AFR in Open Loop. If you didn't use the PE Enable at 0%, the commanded AFR was a bouncing target making it all but impossible to tune. With the two tables for commanded AFR in OL, we now don't have to do it that way anymore.
    As far as the EGR goes, I see guys do both ways, enabled and disabled. Most disable it seems to keep the intake clean, but the loss of mileage is something the more I got into, the more I decided to have it active. In my boosted V6 I kept mine enabled after the tune was finally set. Keep in mind though, watch your timing when/if you enable an EGR. There is an adder in there that will take your set timing for example in cruise, and add up to 10* to it. You set your cruise timing in the low 40's, and all of a sudden your scanning once enabled, and your getting 50+ degrees... just be careful of the end result on timing if you enable it.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner in Training
    I completed the MAF tuning using this method and I get the lean spikes when going from closed to open throttle. The problem I have is that I am driving a manual car and each time I let off the gas to shift and get back on it I get a lean spike which causes about 1 degree of KR. The car does fine if I do a WOT pull from 1500rpm but only gets the KR when I am shifting and getting back on the gas at higher RPMs. Is there a way to lower the lean spikes so I can get rid of the KR or is there something else I should be adjusting?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by User007 View Post
    here the current one
    I have a question on the file above, How do we make this .bin file?

I'm doing a mass air flow tune and all the file i save are like .HPT. but the .bin file above is new, can someone shine some light cause when i open this file it says unlicensed file. but it opens up with are hp tuner program as long as you say no thanks.

so how do we make a .bin file with are hp tuner? or how was that .bin file made?

Another question about the WB, so we connect the WideBand Sensor in the place of the first original oxygen sensor of the car, ok but where to connect the wire from the WB ? To the auxiliary AFR gauge ( example AEM gauge ) or needs to connect the wires to the MPVI Pro interface ?

Thanks...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix68 View Post
    Another question about the WB, so we connect the WideBand Sensor in the place of the first original oxygen sensor of the car, ok but where to connect the wire from the WB ? To the auxiliary AFR gauge ( example AEM gauge ) or needs to connect the wires to the MPVI Pro interface ?

Thanks...
    the auxillary output from the wideband (0-5v) needs to be hooked to the HPtuners box in one of the several Aux inputs in the little green plug on the side of the box. there is a diagram for how they are numbered. once that is done you select the aux input in the software and add it to the table of logged sensors. you have to tell the software what wideband you are hooking up so it knows how to interperate the data via an equation. the software is preloaded with the most common wideband sensors.
    - 2001 Grand Prix XGT -- 11.57@122MPH
    - 2010 Chevy 2500HD LTZ -- Car hauler
    - 2011 BMW 328i Xdrive -- Wife's Daily
    - 2008 Ford F350 -- Under powered Pile O' Shit work truck

Thanks G_P_K so i guess i will have need the MPVI Pro interface ?

I just have an AEM wideband sensor...

So, after a lot of hours of reading HPT forum and the first post of Kemp Russ, i think that i don't really understand all the process... I explain:

Today, i removed my original sensor of my engine, i mean the sensor before the flange in the exhaust manifold, i guess that it's the O2 B1S1, and i put my AEM wideband sensor with the digital AEM gauge.
    I opened VCM Editor with changes that Kemp said, namely:

- VE table stock, i mean i have left it: ( in VCM Editor > Engine > Airflow > Main VE Primary ).
    - I put 0 % at all position: ( in VCM Editor > Engine > Power Enrich > PE Delay > Delay vs. TPS ).
    - I put the PE Enable TPS at 0 % at all rpm: ( in VCM Editor > Engine > Fuel > Power Enrich > Power Enrichment PE Throttle/Pedal > Hot ).
    - I put the Base AFR vs. ECT at 14.700 at all temperature: ( in VCM Editor > Engine > Fuel > Power Enrich > Power enrichment > Base AFR vs. ECT ).
    - I put 0 % the Add vs. TPS at all throttle position: ( in VCM Editor > Engine > Fuel > Power Enrich > Power Enrichment > Add vs. TPS ).
    - I put 0 at all rpm the Add vs. rpm table: ( in VCM Editor > Engine > Fuel > Power Enrich > Power Enrichment > Add vs. TPS ).

After this, i flashed inside the VCM of my car this new file with VCM Editor, after i started the engine and warm until operating temperature.

I opened VCM Scanner, connecting and start the scanning, i opened the VCM Controls > Fuel & Spark > Reset Fuel Trim.

You should know that my AEM gauge reading was 13.5 AFR after 5 minutes engine ON but, most of the time ( after i put the Reset Fuel Trim ) the reading was between 10.3 to 12.0 AFR.
    After, i did a short ride with the car ( accel & decel smoothly ), after i was back on my parking to stop the car, the VCM scan and the engine.

Honestly, I did not understand the following, namely copy & paste the MAF error % historigram and everything else... Because i don't know where i can found the remainder of the procedure...

My version of VCM Editor and VCM Scanner is 2.24.338 ( beta ).

My MPVI Interface is Standard not Pro, if somebody tell me what is the process ( step by step ), this will help me a lot...

Here, the scan of my car:
    Attached Files Attached Files

You need to log the Commanded afr, Maf Hz and you need to set up your wideband to read in Hp Tuners. Then you can set up your Maf AFR Error histogram.

Russ Kemp

Thanks for your answer Russ, i'll check that...

Potential Tuner
    the vehicle is using different fuel trims at idle, cruise, and wot

Tuner in Training
    I've got the newest pro version. I went through all the steps , trying to tune my 98' 3800 turbo car. I've only got one nb b1s1 o2 hooked up. I've played with all the tables zero out everything but short term and long term fuel in the historygram is -50 all the time. Any hints to what to look at? Wb say at idle in closed loop 13afr but as soon as I crack the throttle it gos very lean.
    Last edited by Gbgn1; 01-30-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Tuner in Training
    First time with HPT. Been tuning for 2 weeks. Have mercy 2001 top swapped Impala LS, 3.25" pulley, self ported heads, blower, intake. SD 60lb's. E85

I am unable to enter PE with less than 23% throttle. Commanded afr bounces around till then. I've setup all the tables as specified. Can anyone look at my tune and see if I missed something? It might just be factory limited on a table i cant access? I've done 3 quick tunes and it is cleaning up though.

Couple more questions for anyone that can help.
    1. How do i reset trims? In "vehicle controls" i have an option, but I cant tell if it does anything.
    2. You can see in my scan that deceleration makes it very rich. My thinking is it is happening because i can't lower the min pulse width of these injectors. Lowest i ever see is 1.8-1.7. So high vacuum on decel, too high minPW is causing this. Forget about it? I spend many hours trying to research these injectors but finding specs i can plug in is not happening. Maybe i can fix it under Fuel-Transient but i have no idea yet what those settings do.

Thanks!

Your PE is set to 14.7, I would change it to 11.5. Also, you need to raise the PE enable TPS. Yes, on some vehicles the commanded AFR will still move around even after setting the open loop AFR adder to 0.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Your PE is set to 14.7, I would change it to 11.5. Also, you need to raise the PE enable TPS. Yes, on some vehicles the commanded AFR will still move around even after setting the open loop AFR adder to 0.

Russ Kemp
    I'm still in the pre WOT portion of tuning. AFR set to 14.7.

I wouldn't think having the AFR commanding a little different before PE enables wouldn't hurt the process much. There might be a little lag in the AFR error if you are quick on the throttle, but I should be able to tune around that?

Tuner in Training
    Still tuning. I've learned a lot through trial and error using your method. I can tune around the shifting low throttle commanded afr simply by ignoring the lean cell or two that shows up when commanded afr changes. Easy peasy.

But there is a ghost in my machine. Wondering if anyone else has seen this. So I tune low to mid, get afr error within a percent, tune wot, get that dialed in. What happens is that the next time I tune, 20 minutes after getting errors good, all of the sudden I'm 4-10 percent lean. Or just yesterday I scanned after dialing in things and now I'm 4-6 percent rich.

It's like this pcm is doing something in the background. I have all bank 2 O2 sensor stuff turned off and cat tests disabled. Has anyone experienced this? I'm a little suspicious of the MBT table, but it might be a red herring.

Potential Tuner
    Old thread but still great information. I'm tuning a 3800SC engine and some of these functions such as zeroing out the trims are not available so I guess you just have to be patient and make adjustments and see where the LT trim falls. I was curious about what to do with the OPEN LOOP/BASE-AFR Adder table. Im guessing this should also be zero'd while tuning? I don't really understand the function of this table in the first place...

Tuner in Training
    Reviving again. I feel like I'm close to getting this right, but the goofy wideband I spent too much on is making things difficult. It's calibrated to display in E85 AFR.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/files...0E85%20AFR.pdf

I saw somebody's tune earlier in the thread had changed their stoich to 9.85 in the editor. Is that all I would need to do to make my MAF error histogram work properly? Right now it's showing about a 36% difference which would make sense given the command of 14.7:1. I'm just worried that changing Editor > Engine > Fuel > General > Stoichiometry will change something I don't want changed. Please advise! Thanks
    Last edited by V6Buicks; 05-11-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Adding links

Tuner in Training
    Also, here's the tune I was planning to use when I try this again. I'm scared I'm going to screw something up though! Thanks again
    Last edited by V6Buicks; 05-11-2020 at 12:28 PM.

I know this is an old thread, and only hoping by chance you or someone reads this, but did you ever find a solution to this?

Potential Tuner
    Im trying to use this guide to tune my MAF, where would base afr vs ECT be under and also add vs rpm table, I'm searching my editor and can't seem to find them