Thread: 6R80 shifting early issue

6R80 shifting early issue

2011 F150, bone stock just trying to get a little extra power out of it and I cannot get the trans to shift where I want it.
    The only thing I have not tried adjusting was the "Cooling Reduction Shift Schedule", but I have no idea why it would be using that table all the time.
    Any help would be much appreciated. log 5.hpltrans tune.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    What size tire are you running? You MPH seems awfully high to me especially in 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    What size tire are you running? You MPH seems awfully high to me especially in 1st.
    275 55 20, stock size I presume, & I subtract .5 for sidewall deformation if it?s not a real low profile sidewall. 3.55 is the final drive ratio. I?ve progressively went up on shift schedule mph trying to make it shift later with no luck.
    Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 11-24-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Diction

Found this thread https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...g-Tip-N-V-Base
    I can say that the VID block is enabled now but know from personal experience that if I disable the VID block on a 2011 that I will loose the manual shift function. I did it on another 2011 before just trying to re-calibrate the speedometer and after speaking with an HPT engineer about the problem was told to re-enable the VID block, the manual shift function was then back.
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

Quote Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER View Post
    Found this thread https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...g-Tip-N-V-Base
    I can say that the VID block is enabled now but know from personal experience that if I disable the VID block on a 2011 that I will loose the manual shift function. I did it on another 2011 before just trying to re-calibrate the speedometer and after speaking with an HPT engineer about the problem was told to re-enable the VID block, the manual shift function was then back.
    So how do we get around this issue when changing gear ratios? I am having the same issue with a 2013 F150.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumVelocity View Post
    So how do we get around this issue when changing gear ratios? I am having the same issue with a 2013 F150.
    You can change the gear ratio & tire size through the scanner WITH the VID block enabled & that works just fine. The only reason that I have found to disable the VID block is to address the non-response to changing the shift schedule. I haven't tried it yet but will sometime this week & post how it went.

So I tested this out, disabled the VID block, defined the gear ratio and tire circumference, & bumped the trans rpm limit 600rpm over where I wanted to shift the trans and it shifted higher but not exactly at the rpm or speed that I wanted & it closed the throttle on the shifts sometimes.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER View Post
    So I tested this out, disabled the VID block, defined the gear ratio and tire circumference, & bumped the trans rpm limit 600rpm over where I wanted to shift the trans and it shifted higher but not exactly at the rpm or speed that I wanted & it closed the throttle on the shifts sometimes.
    At that point you're likely hitting a limit...

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    At that point you're likely hitting a limit...

Yes when it happens the torque source goes to engine speed but all RPM limiter's have been raised to 7000 or 7100. Even the trans RPM limit and by gear have both been raised to 7000. I would think that's plenty far enough away from 63-6400 where I'm wanting the shift to happen. I just messed with it again last night, I can raise the NV up and it makes it shift later but it closes the throttle and act's like it's hitting a limiter that I can't see with the HPT software.

I did notice that under the OS tab there's an RPM limit patch, anyone know about this?

On truck I was working on I ended up re-enabling the VID block and just changing the gear ratio and tire size with Forscan app. Fixed my shift issues of shifting to late causing throttle to close and act like limiter. The patch is to run over 7700rpms I believe so that wont help in your case.

On truck I was working on I ended up re-enabling the VID block and just changing the gear ratio and tire size with Forscan app. Fixed my shift issues of shifting to late causing throttle to close and act like limiter. The patch is to run over 7700rpms I believe so that wont help in your case.
    So this is a known issue that has no real fix then?

Based on email with support that would be a correct statement.

So I got it to shift a little faster but it's still closing the blade on the shift, there has to be a fix for this.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: hpt 4.hpt (806.6 KB, 18 views)

You need to re-enable the VID block, use correct n/v ratio for your tire size then adjust your shift speed lower till it shifts where you want. Once I did that on a supercharged f150 the shifts were damn close to commanded minus the 1-2 shift where I had to command pretty early to get it to shift without closing throttle.

You need to re-enable the VID block, use correct n/v ratio for your tire size then adjust your shift speed lower till it shifts where you want. Once I did that on a supercharged f150 the shifts were damn close to commanded minus the 1-2 shift where I had to command pretty early to get it to shift without closing throttle.
    Awesome, I'll give that a try for sure. Is there a formula you're using to calculate NV ratio? I bumped it from 40 to 43 and that got me pretty close to the rpm I wanted.

There is one floating around in the forums just have to search for it.

There is one floating around in the forums just have to search for it.
    I just wanted to report back my findings. I played around with the NV ratio blindly until the 1-2 shift happened where I wanted and then the MPH until the 1-2 would shift repeatedly without closing the throttle. What I ended up with was after re enabling the VID block and adjusting the NV ratio I went from a stock setting of 40 to 46. To me this seems like a lot for a truck with stock tires, I would like to add that I kept the tire size and final drive stuff set to ?calibration? because my math did have the speedo dead on.

Next I tried the 2-3, it wouldn?t even shift at WOT with a 6 mph earlier shift mph ( it took commanding the shift 6mph early for the 1-2 to happen.). So at that point I decided to back up and quit for the day. The owner of the truck calls me back 2 days later and tells me the 1-2 is back slightly closing the throttle again