Thread: NAG1 frequently doesn't downshift to 1st gear when stopping/stopped

Tuner in Training

NAG1 frequently doesn't downshift to 1st gear when stopping/stopped

I've read a lot, and learned a lot, and believe this is a tuning issue...

I have noticed several times that when I take off from a light, stop sign, etc. that my Jeep seems very underpowered (and it isn't.) So I smacked the shifter into Autostick and found that it was in 2nd gear. Started learning and logging and was finally able to catch it in a log.

When I stop, the log shows the Trans Selected Gear as D, the Trans Current Gear as N. If I stay in D and start to take off it will show N for quite a while and eventually display 'Unknown' then 2nd without having set the Upshift 'Yes' bit. If I slap it into Autostick it is in 2nd and will not allow me to change it, neither up nor down, until I start moving.

I don't believe it is an internal issue because I can downshift to 1st with the Autostick and the shift is firm. Where should I start looking for the root cause?

You can see the first instance in the attached log at Time: 07:46:52, 00:04:36.
    Attached Files Attached Files

lets see the tune?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmoney View Post
    lets see the tune?
    Dang, thought I attached the log and the tune both. Here it is
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    lets see the tune?
    @Kmoney I see from an old thread that you had a very similar issue. Were you able to identify the cause and fix it?

Jan from HPT suggested that I flash the TCM back to stock, see if it goes away, then apply Trans changes one at a time to identify the issue. Between the time it takes to write the tune, and the amount I drive my Jeep (6k miles in 2 years) this approach could possibly take me months.

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil15jku View Post
    @Kmoney I see from an old thread that you had a very similar issue. Were you able to identify the cause and fix it?

Jan from HPT suggested that I flash the TCM back to stock, see if it goes away, then apply Trans changes one at a time to identify the issue. Between the time it takes to write the tune, and the amount I drive my Jeep (6k miles in 2 years) this approach could possibly take me months.
    Have you verified fluid level? Mak sure its not over filled. 2-1 down shift may be the issue. try moving that around a bit to see if it makes a difference. Im the same way. I dont drive it enough to get all the bugs out of it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil15jku View Post
    I've read a lot, and learned a lot, and believe this is a tuning issue...

I have noticed several times that when I take off from a light, stop sign, etc. that my Jeep seems very underpowered (and it isn't.) So I smacked the shifter into Autostick and found that it was in 2nd gear. Started learning and logging and was finally able to catch it in a log.

When I stop, the log shows the Trans Selected Gear as D, the Trans Current Gear as N. If I stay in D and start to take off it will show N for quite a while and eventually display 'Unknown' then 2nd without having set the Upshift 'Yes' bit. If I slap it into Autostick it is in 2nd and will not allow me to change it, neither up nor down, until I start moving.

I don't believe it is an internal issue because I can downshift to 1st with the Autostick and the shift is firm. Where should I start looking for the root cause?

You can see the first instance in the attached log at Time: 07:46:52, 00:04:36.
    Had a similar issue and started playing around with my shift scheduling and a few other settings. Now my JKU is shifting perfectly with my 6.4 transplant.
    Run a compare to my file... 2013 Jeep JK Sahara 6.4 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) WIP3.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JWM_Jankowitz View Post
    Had a similar issue and started playing around with my shift scheduling and a few other settings. Now my JKU is shifting perfectly with my 6.4 transplant.
    Run a compare to my file... 2013 Jeep JK Sahara 6.4 ECU (MJ) + TCM (MJ) WIP3.hpt
    Thanks! I will compare the two tonight and let you know what I find. Also just got my wideband hooked up so hopefully I can get some solid logging done now as well.

Tuner in Training
    Have you verified fluid level? Mak sure its not over filled. 2-1 down shift may be the issue. try moving that around a bit to see if it makes a difference. Im the same way. I dont drive it enough to get all the bugs out of it.
    I would *hope* it isn't overfilled since it has never been touched (only 40k miles on it) but I will definitely check it out. I suppose the fluid could also be cooked

I tune Chrysler / Jeep / Ram / Dodge for a living.. if I can fix your issue in one revision would you consider a full tune? lol but honestly there is a super likely possibility that you have a solenoid issue if it's taking off in second gear. Any DTC codes? Let me send you a revision either way see if it helps.

Just made changes to the transmission, I notice it's boosted, wouldn't want to touch the motor side without being there..

Transmission seemed a little aggressive.. anyhow, let me know if these changes help you with your issue. Good luck bud.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    Just made changes to the transmission, I notice it's boosted, wouldn't want to touch the motor side without being there..

Transmission seemed a little aggressive.. anyhow, let me know if these changes help you with your issue. Good luck bud.
    Thanks man! I will take a look and then give it a try later today. I do see the code U1118 (current) which doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering it is clearly communicating. I will pull the dash panel and check all of the connections to the TCM since it has been removed in the past.

Ultimately, I suspect there is some bad scaling in the current tune to help correct for my extra deep gears (5.38's) and it was never commanding the 2-1 downshift (as seen in the log.)

I still don't have a good grasp as to how to go about correcting for the output shaft speed difference with the deeper gears. I know something needs to be scaled but not understanding where to do that. My final drive ratio is ~7% shorter than it was from the factory... (now: 5.38's and 40's (38.75 actual) vs stock: 4.10 and 31.5)
    Last edited by Anvil15jku; 10-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Tuner in Training

Looks like this solved the problem. So now I get to figure out why that is.

You didn't change much but I did see a couple interesting things in there, most notably that you solved another mystery for me. ECT max rpm above 230 degrees was set to 3800 and you corrected that. I had an issue a few weeks back after sitting in heavy traffic going up I-70 out of Denver (6-10% uphill grade) and it started cutting out on me right about 4k RPM. Pretty sure that this was the issue.

Yes it was. Even tho the setting is at a high ECT it will still hit that setting. Glad I could help bud.

Tuner in Training
    I appreciate it a ton. By changing only a few settings I can narrow it down a lot faster. I will probably push a few of those RPM limits back up since it still pulls hard up to 6800-7000. It was hanging a bit on the 2-3 and 3-4 upshifts at low throttle so I will take a look at those as well.

PM me your contact info and I will, at the very least, point others your direction for their tuning needs. Hopefully that will generate some revenue for ya.

What params would I look at to increase the throttle sensitivity, especially at very low throttle %?s (for rock crawling)?

Time for me to learn more about the engine side now, got the AEM -0334 up and running now as well.

Tuner in Training
    Yes it was. Even tho the setting is at a high ECT it will still hit that setting. Glad I could help bud.
    According to the service manual, 230 is middle of the operating range for the 3.6. I wish there was an actual gauge for coolant temp on it. But hell, can't even get a volt gauge out of them
    Last edited by Anvil15jku; 10-10-2019 at 07:40 AM.