Thread: 2006 Magnum Torque Management Issue in First and second gear

Advanced Tuner

2006 Magnum Torque Management Issue in First and second gear

Tuned a 06 SRT magnum with a 2.8 kb, built 426, cam Id1000's paramount trans/tcm etc. Torque management is stepping in hard on me in first and second gear, expecially from a dead stop. It's closing the throttle down and pulling spark way negative causing the car to nose over/break up. I've been trying to figure it out but have come up empty handed thus far.

I'm wondering if the converter may have something to do with this. In the first log you can see the converter flash and then tm starts to step in at nearly the same time the tcm begins applying the converter.

Any input would be appreciated. Included tune file and two logs from just now from a dead stop.

002_Strozier.hpl
    003_Strozier.hpl
    020_Strozier.hpt

Senior Tuner
    See if raising your max engine torque and torque limit by gear, you are def north of the engine limit in the logs.

Trans>Torque Management>Max Engine
    Trans>Torque Management>vs Gear (1st and 2nd)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    See if raising your max engine torque and torque limit by gear, you are def north of the engine limit in the logs.

Trans>Torque Management>Max Engine
    Trans>Torque Management>vs Gear (1st and 2nd)
    I did try maxing out these parameters without success so I set them back to stock/where paramount had them

Senior Tuner
    Personally I would ditch the paramount tcm, try writing to the stock or stock replacement with what you want in the TCM, I have had 2 bricked ones from them that randomly did strange things on me, one had a huge shift flare 3-4 shift, another couldn't lock the converter. Totally random, but if you have one laying around may want to try it.

Stupid question but you're not spinning the tires off? No mph in your log so tough to tell, but I cant imagine a 426 2.8L KB getting off the line very well.

Advanced Tuner
    Personally I would ditch the paramount tcm, try writing to the stock or stock replacement with what you want in the TCM, I have had 2 bricked ones from them that randomly did strange things on me, one had a huge shift flare 3-4 shift, another couldn't lock the converter. Totally random, but if you have one laying around may want to try it.

Stupid question but you're not spinning the tires off? No mph in your log so tough to tell, but I cant imagine a 426 2.8L KB getting off the line very well.
    I did try just a bone stock tcm but no change. It starts pulling power before tire spin. I turn the tc off every time. I have noticed the light flash once or twice during the condition. I tried using the scanner to disable traction control and it still does it. At a bit of a loss. May try using ds to see if maybe it's somehow software related.

Senior Tuner
    Is this an EGS52 or 53 TCM? I have found tweaking EGS52 in most any 2006 results in a lot of bugs once HP Tuners is used (gear ratio setting doesn't work, disabling traction control doesn't work 100%). Best results have been from a stock EGS53 installed and tweaked.

For me, when I disabled traction control, all the lights came on in the dash, but I still feel the ABS acting weird, like when I first put it in reverse at a stop I feel the pedal vibrate for a second. Very strange.

Advanced Tuner
    used a predator to suck the file, moved airflow max rpm past 1,000 grams per second(HPT will only allow it to be moved to 511 g/s) and it solved the problem. This is the second one as of late I have lost a bunch of time on and had to resort to DS for the same problem

Edit: Actually the first one was stall torque management.
    Last edited by curt@injected; 12-07-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I have found same issue with some DS files that I have tuned with HPT.
    If I try to change the DS airflow numbers, HPT will only allow 511 g/s.
    I go back to previous file and know to leave that one alone.
    But may be an issue for guys just using HPT from a stock file.

Quote Originally Posted by curt@injected View Post
    used a predator to suck the file, moved airflow max rpm past 1,000 grams per second(HPT will only allow it to be moved to 511 g/s) and it solved the problem. This is the second one as of late I have lost a bunch of time on and had to resort to DS for the same problem

Edit: Actually the first one was stall torque management.

Advanced Tuner
    When you guys punch in a number that exceeds the predefined limits of the HP Tuners software, after hitting enter, it should bring up a dialog that informs you that you've exceeded the max limit, but it should also ask if you'd like to overwrite that limit (while also giving you a warning about the potential flaws of doing so). It should work, though I've never actually tried flashing a car with an exceeded maximum value in the calibration.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    When you guys punch in a number that exceeds the predefined limits of the HP Tuners software, after hitting enter, it should bring up a dialog that informs you that you've exceeded the max limit, but it should also ask if you'd like to overwrite that limit (while also giving you a warning about the potential flaws of doing so). It should work, though I've never actually tried flashing a car with an exceeded maximum value in the calibration.
    This is one of the fields that is locked down, even with the warning it will not exceed the max.

Advanced Tuner
    Lame...

Advanced Tuner
    This is one of the fields that is locked down, even with the warning it will not exceed the max.
    Yes. I emailed Mark about it and he was quick to respond and very willing to help. I sent him a few files to help out. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon for everyone