Thread: 2018 ZL1 Tune

Tuner in Training

2018 ZL1 Tune

New to HP Tuners and Gen V GM engines, but not to tuning forced induction engines, I initially decided to hire a tuner instead to taking the time to learn the platform and tool. The tune resulted in dyno numbers that looked "OK" (619 TQ / 574 HP), but the car feels very lazy and is down 5 MPH in the 1/8th mile from bone stock.

SO, I decided to purchase HP tuners and look at it as a learning opportunity.... Wow, are these systems complex! Thank goodness for the Compare function as I was able to compare the stock tune to modified tunes as part of the learning process. What i found in the tune i paid for was he tried to maximize boost, but to do so pulled almost 10 degrees of timing, which I believe is what I'm feeling in the car.

Of course I'm still very nervous and would really appreciate a quick review by someone who's knowledgeable with these cars.

The new tune is attached and I truly appreciate your time and assistance.

BTW - the car has a ported blower snout, 95mm LT5 TB, and Roto-Fab CAI.

Thanks in advance!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2017 ZL1 M6 daily driver and hobby

Gen 5 tuning separates the girls from the men...
    If I get a moment I’ll look, but pulling 10 degrees randomly is a hack, airflow/tq models have to be solid to make engine and trans happy

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Gen 5 tuning separates the girls from the men...
    If I get a moment I’ll look, but pulling 10 degrees randomly is a hack, airflow/tq models have to be solid to make engine and trans happy
    Thanks for your review Ben Charles, greatly appreciated.

Potential Tuner
    The file attached matches up with a factory timing map from a 2018 ZL1 that I grabbed from the hptuners repository. Is this file you uploaded one you have created? Or the one you pulled from your dyno tune?

Also was there a before and after plot showing your power level from the shop or just a final number given?

Tuner in Training
    I really appreciate your response.

The file I uploaded was modified by me from the factory tune and I didn?t mess with the timing tables. I used the compare feature and used his DD, torque managment, and airflow tables, but nothing else.

The dyno chart is attached, although I can't figure out why his overlay shows higher HP and lower TQ thank the tuned pull by itself.

IMG_4227.JPG
    Last edited by Dixie ZL1; 06-04-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Potential Tuner
    It's pretty common for a car to make a bit more power on a pull and then you reduce the power to make the car run safer. e.g if you push the car a bit far with the soft knock control settings the car will knock, pull timing, but could be pushed beyond what is safe. Thus you adjust the tune and make another pull. So they likely overlayed a different pull to just get a quick plot to show you.

Your tune has very few changes from stock. Are you running pulleys for your supercharger or are they currently stock?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
    It's pretty common for a car to make a bit more power on a pull and then you reduce the power to make the car run safer. e.g if you push the car a bit far with the soft knock control settings the car will knock, pull timing, but could be pushed beyond what is safe. Thus you adjust the tune and make another pull. So they likely overlayed a different pull to just get a quick plot to show you.

Your tune has very few changes from stock. Are you running pulleys for your supercharger or are they currently stock?
    Stock pulleys, just the ported snout, 95mm TB, and CAI. Completely stock otherwise.

Potential Tuner
    I would doubt that the car picked up that much power from a re calibration. They just plotted a car from 2 months ago with a lower amount of power. Honestly a stock ZL1 gains are pretty mild when custom tuned. At least on ACN91 we see pretty tame gains.
    Last edited by nelsmar; 06-04-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I would doubt that the car picked up that much power from a re calibration. They just plotted a car from 2 months ago with a lower amount of power. Honestly a stock ZL1 gains are pretty mild when custom tuned. At least on ACN91 we see pretty tame gains.
    I honestly don’t know what to say about that, I watched both pulls.

I respect your experience with them though.

Potential Tuner
    If you look at the screenshot there are dynos from 3/30. The one labeled #4 is the baseline plotted.

If the tuner hasn?t done a lot of work on Gen V he likely pulled a fair bit of timing because he thought the car was knocking due to how the timing system works on the newer platform.
    Last edited by nelsmar; 06-04-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Tuner in Training
    If you look at the screenshot there are dynos from 3/30. The one labeled #4 is the baseline plotted.

If the tuner hasn?t done a lot of work on Gen V he likely pulled a fair bit of timing because he thought the car was knocking due to how the timing system works on the newer platform.
    So do you think I’m missing anything in the tune I posted? Does it appear to you that I’m addressing the right parameters for a new baseline to log?

Appreciate your input.

Potential Tuner
    I would put the factory injector settings back in. And possibly add the throttle scalar for the ZR1 95mm throttle. Although it might not be totally needed. I would get the numbers for you but i dont have my cable on me its at the shop, and apparently i need it to download the definition. Unfortunately I don't have the notes all organized to pull a MAF scale for you for that intake. I would have to dig through my repo and find one. So hopefully their calibration was correct. But if you want to be safe you can load the factory MAF curve in. IIRC its fairly close on that intake.

I also had sent you my FB if you wanted to chat.
    Last edited by nelsmar; 06-04-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Very helpful! Thank you.

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=nelsmar;573558]I would put the factory injector settings back in. And possibly add the throttle scalar for the ZR1 95mm throttle. Although it might not be totally needed. I would get the numbers for you but i dont have my cable on me its at the shop, and apparently i need it to download the definition. Unfortunately I don't have the notes all organized to pull a MAF scale for you for that intake. I would have to dig through my repo and find one. So hopefully their calibration was correct. But if you want to be safe you can load the factory MAF curve in. IIRC its fairly close on that intake.

The throttle scalar for the ZR1 95mm TB will be greatly appreciated. That might be the issue.

Thanks again

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    throttle scalar is 5054
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    throttle scalar is 5054
    Thank you!