Thread: Ecodiesel READ

Potential Tuner

Ecodiesel READ

2016 Ram Ecodiesel.
    Curious, when trying to read the "stock" file it says it need to update the file, will this flash a new stock file into the truck? Not wanting to lose what is already in the truck. Thanks.

Tuner
    2015 JEEP DIESEL .hpt

I did this on a 2015 diesel jeep last week, took 15 mins, after that i was able to download the stock file.
    Last edited by Cranked Automotive; 10-12-2020 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Attached stock tune.

No the updating part shouldn't wipe out your tune. I was hesitant to read mine bc i was GDE tuned. However many ppl have not been able to read a previously tuned ECUs, guess i got lucky. If there is an issue HPT should prompt you with a message saying it cannot read the ECU, and a Stock file will be flashed back afterwards.

Tuner in Training
    it doenst wipe out your tune, what it does is update the computer so you can flash it. ive tested this.

So clarity question: If I read right, we do not need to send in the ECM to have it unlocked? Just bought an 2017 ECO and wanting to tune right away. I did the update and was able to successfully read the ECM. However it checked out when reading the trans. I then read the trans independently. So can anyone clarify the procedure's here. I noticed it requires 4 credits to do the tuning. But if someone can summarize or like I said offer clarity on the procedures, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Potential Tuner
    I have a customer wanting to do a 2021 eco diesel wrangler. I understand the ECMs have to be unlocked on these. My questions pertain to what tables HP tuners have for these. This customer is now on 40" tires and gear ratio change. Does HP tuners have access to these parameters? If not, is there anything out there that can change the tire size or gear ratio?.

I understand it could prob be read out using other hardware, but I am not sure what maps locations define gear ratio and tire size on these vehicles.

ANY advice would be appreciated. I opened an ECO diesel tune to take a look at, but it was a 2015 truck. ECMs are not the same, I am hoping HP defined those values in the Jeeps because of their popularity.

Hptuners can change tire and gear without ecu unlock . Tire and gear is in the BCM

Quote Originally Posted by raceghost View Post
    So clarity question: If I read right, we do not need to send in the ECM to have it unlocked? Just bought an 2017 ECO and wanting to tune right away. I did the update and was able to successfully read the ECM. However it checked out when reading the trans. I then read the trans independently. So can anyone clarify the procedure's here. I noticed it requires 4 credits to do the tuning. But if someone can summarize or like I said offer clarity on the procedures, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
    Bump for above questions?

Quote Originally Posted by raceghost View Post
    Bump for above questions?
    No unlock necessary if its and Gen 2 Ecodiesel or 4th Gen Ram Ecodiesel. 14-19

But the Gen 3 or 5th Gen Ram Ecodiesels do need the unlock procedure. If you go to the Vehicle list on HPT website you'll see the little number 1 next to year of the truck 20-21(1)

Quote Originally Posted by Smxtmpr34 View Post
    No unlock necessary if its and Gen 2 Ecodiesel or 4th Gen Ram Ecodiesel. 14-19

But the Gen 3 or 5th Gen Ram Ecodiesels do need the unlock procedure. If you go to the Vehicle list on HPT website you'll see the little number 1 next to year of the truck 20-21(1)
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GSLSE20B View Post
    Hptuners can change tire and gear without ecu unlock . Tire and gear is in the BCM

It wont even allow it to read without it being unlocked. HP Tuners will read the BCM?

Yes , I used my hptuners to change tire and gear ratio on my 2021 JL RUBICON

Another quick question on HP Credit requirements for tuning these. It says (4) universal credits is what's needed. I am assuming (2) for ECM and (2) for TCM, is this correct? Out of curiosity, why 4 and not the usual 2 for most Chrysler products?

Potential Tuner
    i have a 2016 Ram ecodiesel and continue to get a controller init fail fault each time. i can read the TCM module just fine just wont read the ECM... any advice on tips/tricks on getting it to connect? using the latest version of suites.