Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security Access Denied

Aftermarket stereo installed? If so pull the power to it and try writing the PCM.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Some laptops have power save options. Be sure that they are turned off. Or some USB ports, are slow when coming out of "hibernate" mode.

Running into the same thing here- tried a different laptop & USB cable to no effect. It now says number of attempts exceeded.

Can a tuner lock be reset or bypassed with a Tech 2 tool? My VCM is really hard to get to, so if it can be fixed another way, I'd rather do that.
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    security access denied usually means the pcm has been tunerlocked, the only way to unlock it is to have the tuner that locked the pcm unlock the pcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks Bill. I don't know the history of this one so I guess I'll have to replace it.

Tuner in Training
    So there is no way to force a write entire onto the pcm?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSexy
    So there is no way to force a write entire onto the pcm?
    Correct

Potential Tuner

Security Access Denied - Read Entire VCM

Since I'm getting the "Security Access Denied" message on the Requesting Access line of the Read Entire VCM window - does that mean that the tuner locked my VCM and that I can't even read the VCM?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Security access denied means just that, there is an issue when trying to access the pcm. This can be due to several reasons, the most common of which is tunerlocking.

HOWEVER, the security access denied error is only the backend of the error, there is an error that pops up BEFORE security access denied that tells you EXACTLY what the issue is ie Invalid Authorization code means its been tunerlocked usually.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Security access denied means just that, there is an issue when trying to access the pcm. This can be due to several reasons, the most common of which is tunerlocking.

HOWEVER, the security access denied error is only the backend of the error, there is an error that pops up BEFORE security access denied that tells you EXACTLY what the issue is ie Invalid Authorization code means its been tunerlocked usually.
    So this also keeps the pcm locked even if it has been reflasched with a tech2?
    Shouldent that errase all info in the pcm and leave it in "standard" state?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by rassetr View Post
    So this also keeps the pcm locked even if it has been reflasched with a tech2?
    Shouldent that errase all info in the pcm and leave it in "standard" state?
    Tech2 can't even flash over a tunerlocked pcm.

I'm not a fan at all of people tuner locking PCM's. Its a real pain in the butt for most involved. My thought is I'm tuning a customers car and they own the pcm and I'm just tuning it for their application. I have no right to lock it out to allow someone else to do work if the customer does not choose to come back for reason or whatever. GM doesn't lock us out of the pcm so why should we lock others out? I just make a backup of the last config when they are happy, so if they do go elsewhere and they mess it up I can just write it back and readjust for what they want now. Just my 2c.
    98 TransAm WS9 Raim Air – Stage 4 4L60E Trans -3:90 Rear -1.8 HS Rockers - Full UMI Suspension – 85MM Lid – 85MM Z06 MAF - LS6 Z06 Intake - 224/230 Comp Cam - 7.350 Push Rods - 243 TEA Stage 2 LS6 Heads 61cc - Melling 10296 Oil Pump - Caddy Race Lifters - SLP Underdrive Pulley - 160 Thermo - 42# Green Top Injectors - HPT - SLP Line lock - Pacesetter LTube Headers - Yank SS4000 - 98 to 2002 PCM Swap www.mrk-motorsports.com

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    GM doesn't lock us out of the pcm so why should we lock others out?

Do you think GM just hands us the seed/key? Or Ford or Dodge for that matter? Why do you think LML Diesels will likely never see a real tuning solution?

Let me put it this way GM DOES lock us out, but there are ways to break down the door so to speak. Some applications are easier than others but they are all "tunerlocked" from the factory. When we develop tunerlocking for specific applications its usually just based on the factory principle ie change the seed/key. Why fix a system we already know works fairly well?