Thread: Throttle Position and missing power?

Potential Tuner

Throttle Position and missing power?

Hi everyone!

Over the last days I have been developing my own tune.

I wasn't able to reach any number below 11s (way too high) with stock or my modified tune.

Comparing multiple logs from other forum members made me notice my throttle never stay on 87% ~

Would be awesome if someone could have a look and let me know what the issue might be.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post your tune and stock file
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

ECU, TCU, CPC Online Tuning
    Whatsapp: +971503383340
    Email: [email protected]
    Insta: @xstages.motorsport
    www.xstages.com

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw_50 View Post
    Sure, see attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Hi, did you have time to check it?

Hi, sorry for the delay

Development v2_some_tables_revert_to_stock.hpt

check if it would hold position through the power band
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

ECU, TCU, CPC Online Tuning
    Whatsapp: +971503383340
    Email: [email protected]
    Insta: @xstages.motorsport
    www.xstages.com

Potential Tuner
    Hi, sorry for the delay

Development v2_some_tables_revert_to_stock.hpt

check if it would hold position through the power band
    Thanks, thing is though the Car is slow even without a Tune. Doing 11.4s 100-200kmh. New Intake Manifold, Sparkplugs everything.

Maybe you have an idea as to why

Advanced Tuner
    I have a mystery issue killing power too. It's why I bought HP.
    I never did figure out what the issue is, but imo it's the ecu or something feeding data into it. My main clue was the power readings, per HP Scanner, with the stock tune settings, read almost exactly what the advertised oem power #'s are, but it's actually making substantially less power than that. What part of the system or math is doing that I guess I'll never know, but my workaround is telling it to make much more power to compensate. So maybe you have a similar issue?

Mine is a '16 E550 and a lot of stuff in the HP Editor for you is different than mine but I'll tell you a few things that helped me. Under Torque Model/General we have Optimum Monitoring. When I raised these #'s, like you did, it reduced power. My guess is this is part of the math that tells the ECU how much power the eng is making, if so, the larger # says it's making more power than it really is so it throttles back. I tried lowering the #'s hoping for the inverse, but it didn't do anything.

I also see you didn't bump Torque to Load, which is important on my car. How much you can bump it before you have issues I can't say, but I have mine as much 24% higher at peak load above 3500rpm. If I go much further it'll shut down on me. It won't turn the eng off, but it drops to a rough idle. Not good on the freeway... I also learned that the lower the load % in the chart the more sensitive it is to that, so if I were to bump the #'s at 50% load by 10% it would shut down as soon as I left my driveway. So I only bump the #'s in the highest load row, then the next lower row I raise maybe half as much % to kinda blend it. It also seems to also be more sensitive at lower rpm, which is why my max % increase is only at 3500 on up. If I were to increase 2000rpm by that much, shutdown. So at 2k I'm only ~15% over stock.
    Your oem 100% load #'s are already >100 so it might seem pointless to increase them, but my #'s are above what the eng can do and it still helps. If I lower the #'s to match what it actually does, I lose power.

The oem Exhaust Temps #'s will hurt my power too. Not sure why because it seems other people don't need to do this, and per the settings the Ex Temp isn't used, but lowering the temps netted me a lot of power. I think mine are ~250F less than oem. Not sure if that upsets anything else, but it seems ok. So if it were me I'd lower the #'s a bit to see if it responds. I lowered mine 6% the first time as a test and the gain was obvious.

I also have a chart under Airflow/General called "Maximum Desired Load". I'd imagine this is my cars version of your Max Aircharge WOT? I had to basically double the #'s in my chart to get it to respond, and ultimately I have them about 3x the oem #. Bumping them by a paltry 10%, which apparently works for a normal car, did nothing for me.
    Since most of these charts are limiters, I don't worry about making the # high because I only have two things to worry about, too much boost and faults shutting me down. So far boost isn't much of an issue, but faults are. Eg; Optimum Torque and Torque to Load are ones I can't raise by much or it'll fault and shut down. Most all the other charts I can double the #'s and it does nothing other than reassure me it's not holding me back.

I was also curious about your IAT, why so high? Mine get up there too but I have a very different intake that is prone to get hot, but even so, it won't get that hot at 8AM, which was the time stamp on your chart. Oh, when you said it's only doing 11.4's I thought that's a pretty good 1/4 mile #, what's this guy complaining about?
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909