Thread: How To Fade Objects In Timeline Segments?

Potential Tuner

How To Fade Objects In Timeline Segments?

Is there anyway to have objects gradually fade from hidden to visible, or visible to hidden, when using timeline segments?

With my limited use of RR3, I don't think so. To do this, you would "green screen" the gauges, render the green screen into a video and import this video along with the original video into a third party video editor for post production. In RR3, the green/blue screen is added as a display object under shapes. Once added, you move the green screen down to a position below all the gauges but above the video. Then create a video file from the project. Using a third party editor such as Videostudio or Power Director you import the main video and the green screen video as an overlay track. These video editors have the tool to make the green screen disappear and the ability to fade in and out the gauges.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Candive for your work flow. I do have experience with NLE software and can follow your idea but the time exceeds the end results, at least for me.

Banned
    I`ve tried and can`t find a way to do it just in RR

Quote Originally Posted by Candive View Post
    With my limited use of RR3, I don't think so. To do this, you would "green screen" the gauges, render the green screen into a video and import this video along with the original video into a third party video editor for post production. In RR3, the green/blue screen is added as a display object under shapes. Once added, you move the green screen down to a position below all the gauges but above the video. Then create a video file from the project. Using a third party editor such as Videostudio or Power Director you import the main video and the green screen video as an overlay track. These video editors have the tool to make the green screen disappear and the ability to fade in and out the gauges.
    This is correct, and is the process I use when I need this sort of thing as well. I'd love for RaceRender to be able to do everything, but unfortunately the design of its timeline segment capability (which can be used to turn displays on/off at specific times in your project) is a bit limited and difficult to expand upon in its current form.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    I'd love for RaceRender to be able to do everything, but unfortunately the design of its timeline segment capability is a bit limited and difficult to expand upon in its current form.
    Yes me too, and it leads to the bigger picture of the future for RaceRender. Do you reinvent the wheel and try and create a full blown video editor or do you focus on your niche market of telemetry integration? In my opinion, you stick to the latter. In its current version, RR3 is fine for most users who want to create a quick video of their race with gauge display. As for myself, this is only one part of my video story so I need a bit more editing power and to your credit, you have created the functionality (green screen) that I can use to accomplish my goal. I think you guys have the best telemetry software out there and I would not be surprised if Cyberlink or Corel come knocking at your door begging you to develop a plugin for their software. That's my two bits worth...you guys have done a great job!

Potential Tuner
    At the very least it'd be nice if RR supported a transparency value in it's drawing API's for enhanced objects. This would enable someone to do a rudimentary fade in/out of objects by increasing/decreasing the transparency value with each run of the foreground script. I'll admit I as a bit surprised this wasn't a supported parameter in the various drawing functions.