Thread: Is it possible? - 2014 JK Wrangler A580 Autostick - auto upshift (non redline)

Potential Tuner

Is it possible? - 2014 JK Wrangler A580 Autostick - auto upshift (non redline)

I am debating buying HPtuners for my 2014 wrangler auto (A580)

Is it possible to set the autostick to auto-upshift on its own (not at redline)?
    (IE if I set it to 3 I want it to be able to use gears 1-3 on its own, not be stuck in 3rd)

Tuner in Training
    Currently no wrangler tranny tuning I'm aware of. I really need it to ;-(

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_Guy View Post
    I am debating buying HPtuners for my 2014 wrangler auto (A580)

Is it possible to set the autostick to auto-upshift on its own (not at redline)?
    (IE if I set it to 3 I want it to be able to use gears 1-3 on its own, not be stuck in 3rd)
    No.
    Last edited by Hemituna; 10-30-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tconners View Post
    Currently no wrangler tranny tuning I'm aware of. I really need it to ;-(
    A580 in Wranglers is supported and they tune up great especially with blower!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post
    A580 in Wranglers is supported and they tune up great especially with blower!
    I'm interested in stopping the transmission from downshifting when in autostick. Also the transmission has a tendency to downshift on a slight grade and never upshift again. Any ideas?

I think the wrangler is different from other applications using the NAG1 because the wind resistance, rolling resistance and weight of the vehicle means the engine is under moderate to high load the whole time. At 70mph the engine will often pull up a hill in 5th gear without needing to downshift, but the A580 wants to downshift to 4th or even 3rd when it does not need to. If you autostick then the transmission will downshift to 3rd and skip 4th. Pretty annoying on a long highway trip where you fight the transmission controller for half the trip.

There also is a problem with the shift points where at 35 mph applying throttle will give an upshift followed but a pause and then finally the downshift.

I have played with the shift points a little and they only make a difference for the first shift from the reflash. After that I presume that there is adaptive learning going on. Reducing the adaptive torque window seems to help.