Thread: Nurburgring BTG Laptiming Issue on `Segment` Lap mode

Banned

Nurburgring BTG Laptiming Issue on `Segment` Lap mode

I`m going to the Nurburgring next week and was going to try out TrackAddict for lap timing and live timing updates for my friends.

The Nurburgring BTG circuit is on the database as a Segment circuit.

The problem is that even though it has different Start / Finish points, you often do several laps. I`ve made a short `test circuit` near home that has different start / finish points, but it only times one lap then stops and displays the summary screen.

I guess you expected it to be used on Hillclimbs, Rally Stages etc with differing Start and Finish points, but I want to do several laps back to back and have the program automatically start timing the next lap if I cross the start line again.

I`ll be doing around 160MPH at the point between the Finish and Start so touching the phone to restart the app is obviously not going to happen !

Is there a way you can change it so the program looks for the start being re passed within say 30 seconds (it`s less than that, but that was just a suggestion) and if so it times the next lap without exiting to the summary screen ?

Sorry for the short notice, I only thought to test it today and I`m obviously glad I did. I doubt you`ll experience this issues on other circuits, but the Nurburgring BTG is a peculiar one.
    Last edited by Nige; 09-24-2016 at 04:15 AM.

Unfortunately, there's not a quick way to make the Segment mode continue recording and auto-reset like that. I'd also like to do that for autocrosses and other events that may have multiple runs back-to-back, but the problem is that it would keep video and everything else recording in between, which eats up battery life and storage space.

It was my understanding that running the Nordschleife course involved a stop in between each lap, so drivers had taken to timing only the Bridge-to-Gantry (BTG) portion of it. For that case, TrackAddict's Segment mode with the "Nurburgring Nordschleife BTG" points should work well.

An alternative approach, such as if you don't stop or can't reset it between runs, is to instead use TrackAddict's Circuit mode, which is meant for continuous lapping... When you go into Circuit mode and add the "Nurburgring Nordschleife" track with our default start/finish point, it will use the Bridge point to start timing and split laps. Your only issue then is that the timer wouldn't automatically give you BTG times, as it would instead be timing full laps. However, passing the Gantry point would be visible in the video, so you could pause it there (or use RaceRender to finely step between frames) to determine your BTG time, since the running lap timer will have started at the Bridge. When we roll out sector split capability in the future, that should be helpful here too...

Banned
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm doing a trackday which allows you to do back to back laps, without stopping after each one. You are correct in your assumption that usually people have to stop after each one, so the current method would work.

It's fine, I'll log all the data as usual for overlay in RaceRender as usual , but I was hoping to share my lap data live with friends who aren't here, they could follow how I was going online but they will just have to manage with my first lap of the session until the fix is implemented. Using the circuit mode wouldn't really work, everyone works from the BTG splits for start and finish.

I won't be back until next April after this week so hopefully you will have had opportunity to write a fix before then.

Logging between splits isn't a particular issue, I have a huge memory card and leave the camera charging anyway.

Banned
    Weston, any update on the sector split capability ? I`m going in a couple of weeks and was hoping I`d be able to try this again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Weston, any update on the sector split capability ? I`m going in a couple of weeks and was hoping I`d be able to try this again.
    Anything ?

At the present time, the situation is still as described a few months ago. I fully anticipate a sector split capability in the future (and maybe even some other modes), and I very much want that myself, but we're currently hard at work on big project of another type that I expect will benefit many of our users...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    At the present time, the situation is still as described a few months ago. I fully anticipate a sector split capability in the future (and maybe even some other modes), and I very much want that myself, but we're currently hard at work on big project of another type that I expect will benefit many of our users...
    OK. Shame but thank you for the reply

Banned
    Weston, any progress on this feature in Trackaddict ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Weston, any progress on this feature in Trackaddict ?
    Yes, TrackAddict v4.0 and newer offers sector split capability, and includes coordinates for capturing Bridge to Gantry (BTG) times during continuous lapping...

So, you have two options for Nordschleife BTG timing:

1) If you are only running one lap at a time, with a break in between, use Segment mode, then add the Nordschleife BTG track and answer 'yes' to use the default timing points. This will start timing at the bridge and end timing at the gantry. Recording will continue until after you have come to a stop for a bit. You will need to start a new recording for each new lap.

2) If you are running continuous laps (or have a very minimal break between runs), use Circuit mode, then add the Nordschleife track and answer 'yes' to use the default timing points. This sets the Bridge as the Start/Finish point (so that's where lap timing starts), and Gantry as the end of Sector 1. When you open your session afterward, your Sector 1 time is your BTG time, and then Sector 2 is your return from Gantry to Bridge. This mode will automatically time each new lap and continue recording until you tap on the screen to stop it or switch to another view. Note that the lap time being displayed while driving will be based on your total lap time; you'll need to review the session after you're done driving to see the Sector 1 / BTG times.

Banned
    Oh excellent. I understand what you are saying.

Will the sector start > end of sector 1 be shown on the live online timing, or just the start to finish ?

Just start to finish times, since that constitutes the full lap.

Potential Tuner
    Yes, TrackAddict v4.0 and newer offers sector split capability, and includes coordinates for capturing Bridge to Gantry (BTG) times during continuous lapping...
    I just got back from a Track Day at the Nordschleife and used Track Addict 4.8.2 in segment mode for several stints of 2 or 3 laps each. I'm trying to get BTG timing setup in RaceRender and the start/finish is appropriately at the Bridge. However I can't see any thing related to sector times in the UI so I can define the Gantry as the end of a sector. Is this something that should come from the CSV and if so, what is the format, so I can write a script to add it? Or is there some other config I need to load to let me set secotr times

thanks,
    Arne