Thread: HPT Noob losing my mind

Potential Tuner

HPT Noob losing my mind

I've been flashing ECMs with the competition for 8 years. I just bought HP Tuners MPVI2 and I am confused to say the least. I have read and read but I guess I am missing something. Hoping someone can point me in the direction of a thread or help in some way.

Today I took a 2014 e38, and attempted to put a 2010 file in it. It ask for 2 credits, I put my credit card in, got the credits, applied them to *something* but when I try to write I of course get an error saying I can't do that. I now come to the understanding that it is because the OS are different (keep in mind I have done this exact procedure countless times with the other guys, I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just saying this is what I was used to). Ok, so I continue to read and dig and I get that the issue is due to the OS being different. Ok, bummer, but I can work with it. I go get a 2014 file with the SAME OS that's in the E38 from GM. I go through, change the 2014 file that I downloaded to meet my needs, then I decide it's time to load it. In my mind this is going to be smooth sailing. I have a licensed ECM and I am trying to put a slightly modified file of the SAME OS into it. WRONG! Apparently my 2 credits that I paid for are now attached to that old 2010 file I started with earlier today?!?!?!? They didn't go towards unlocking the e38 at all??? The note on the screen reads as follows...

HPT1.JPG

So it would appear I have wadded up and thrown away $100? Is it truly attached to the 2010 tune file in some way? If I am understanding this correctly I have to spend another $100 either way.

A) Buy 2 more credits and apply them to the 2014 e38 and put the already licenses 2010 file into it, right?

OR

B) Buy 2 more credits and start from the beginning with the 2014 e38 and the other 2014 file and hope that I can write that way because they have the same operating system. Therefore not using (aka wasting) the original 2 credits on the 2010 file, never to be gotten back.

Am I seeing this correctly? So it takes $200 to change the operating system on a 2010+ e38 using the MVPI2? Again, I just want to know if I am understanding this correctly. Hopefully I've made a mistake somewhere and can easily do what needs to be done with no more money out of pocket. Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by Swap-it; 01-22-2019 at 07:07 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Our software isn't intended to be used like an tech 2 or similar oem device such as putting a 2014 file into a 2010 ecm and vice versa, we recommend you use a tech 2 if that is what you'll be doing, then simply read & license and tune away. Any other way is going to gobble up multiple credits and we do not give out free credits in those cases so its on you.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Bill. Although I wasn't really asking for free credits, I was just trying to make sure I understood what I was looking at. This is new to me. I was trying to give HPT a chance and will continue to. I'm just coming from a different world.

Tuner in Training
    Bill,
    Can you expain why the credits became associated with the file he wanted to load, vs the ECM?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
    Bill,
    Can you expain why the credits became associated with the file he wanted to load, vs the ECM?
    Because thats how our licensing works, you license the file, and the software then makes an additional check to make sure the file you have in the ecm you are attempting to flash to is licensed, this is actually covered in the licensing window.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swap-it View Post
    Thanks Bill. Although I wasn't really asking for free credits, I was just trying to make sure I understood what I was looking at. This is new to me. I was trying to give HPT a chance and will continue to. I'm just coming from a different world.
    I just wanted to make it very clear that what you are doing will likely cause issues so we strongly advise against it. The fact is even after you flash it if the vin/os pair you create is different from what you have licensed you'd then need to read and license the ecm again for a THIRD TIME! Obviously we don't want to see that happen to you and I'm sure you want to avoid that as well. Best bet is to use a tech 2, get the ecm to what you want, then read, license & tune away.