Thread: 2011 durango 5.7 mds delete and TSP non vvt cam

Potential Tuner

2011 durango 5.7 mds delete and TSP non vvt cam

hello all. new tuner here. i have a 2011 Durango that i have done the mds delete and a non vvt TSP cam In: 214 Ext:222 LS: 112. Install seemed pretty straight forward with cam phaser mechanical limiter block installed, mds turned off, and cam phasers disabled. The issue i am running into is it will not stay running past fast idle.once i hit warm idle it will die unless i hold it at 2k rpm. i have checked the repository and read what seems like 1000 posts on here .

i attempted to add exhaust camshaft channels into my log as another post suggested, and while it seemed to have add the channels, i dont seem to be getting any data? (trying to verify my timing isnt off)

i also read that push rod length might be an issue. when i bought my kit from TSP i was told most guys run stock length pushrods with this cam? is there a way to verify this is/isnt the issue in the logs?

camshaft part number : 25-TSPHEMISTG1

Thank you in advance, im new to all of this and definitely feel like i am in over my head. But i am doing my best to learn.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sounds like it's going to be tune, if you keep running at 2k and it's not making one hell of a racket , and not throwing codes .... then it's tune, Read a lot of "Spray-Cam Hell-Ram" responses ,...I think he helped a person out with the same cam as what you have, Good Cam, I like it a lot, makes good power up to 5500 .......... just needs a lot of "Low RPM timing adjustments .

Once you get that Ahhh Haa moment you'll figure it out.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

I offer remote tuning if you are interested.. demigod tuning on facebook. Otherwise, there are lots of great resources on here for learning.. though i don't recommend dodge for the learning curve.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm a dealer for TSP. DO NOT use the stock pushrods, or valve springs. TSP does not make any NON VVT cams. But I assume you mean MDS as your 2011 does have VVT (also the cam phaser that you limited is the VVT phaser)

That cam shouldn't be hard to get running, but I have found the TSP cams do take a different approach than some other cams. (what works for the TSP cams will work on others, but not always the other way around)

See if this will get you idling

mds and cam phaser dms1.hpt

Potential Tuner
    White1: sry you are absolutely correct, i did mean the non mds cam with phaser limiter. that being said do you know what the correct size push rods would be for the tsp stage 1 cam? i have stock length in there now, and im guessing thats why im having such an issue. i have a pushrod measuring thing on order from TSP but if i can get the correct length on order that would be great.

Texas Speed and Performance 5.7/6.4 Hemi Cam Package (WITHOUT PUSHRODS)

Vehicle: Dodge - Durango - 2011
    TSP Stg1 N/A: 214/222 .582/.582 112+3 (25-TSPHemiSTG1)
    PSI Drop In Springs for 5.7 HEMI (514-PSI-1515ML)
    Comp Cam Phaser Lock Kit (4-5760)

im also going to ask in a old theard but i will also ask here... how do you get the cam angles to show after adding the channels in the scanner? i read that this is the easiest way to verify my timing is not off by a tooth.

Advanced Tuner
    Intake pushrod should be 6.675
    Exhaust pushrod should be 8.075

I've noticed on some of the older vehicles (I have a 2010 charger I'm troubleshooting at the moment) the actual angle will not log, only the desired. I don't think that's my issue but sure would be nice if I could log it vs having to pull the front cover back off.

As far as the pushrods, I'm a dealer for TSP, but I actually have a couple sets of Manton pushrods in the correct length on my shelf if you get in a bind. Just let me know and I can get them headed your way.

Did the file I posted help get you idling?

I do offer remote tuning as well, but figured I could help get you idling just to help out

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by white1 View Post
    Intake pushrod should be 6.675
    Exhaust pushrod should be 8.075

I've noticed on some of the older vehicles (I have a 2010 charger I'm troubleshooting at the moment) the actual angle will not log, only the desired. I don't think that's my issue but sure would be nice if I could log it vs having to pull the front cover back off.

As far as the pushrods, I'm a dealer for TSP, but I actually have a couple sets of Manton pushrods in the correct length on my shelf if you get in a bind. Just let me know and I can get them headed your way.

Did the file I posted help get you idling?

I do offer remote tuning as well, but figured I could help get you idling just to help out
    "stock" length that i have in is 8.085 and 6.792 is that enough of a difference to run into issues? sry still learning

Quote Originally Posted by erik waters View Post
    "stock" length that i have in is 8.085 and 6.792 is that enough of a difference to run into issues? sry still learning
    You can get by with your exhaust pr’s but the stock intake are too long, they’ll hold the valve off the seat and leak slightly, it gets to be a mess above 4K rpms
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Advanced Tuner
    The biggest concern isn't really the length. It's the strength. Youve increased the spring pressure and still using a thin wall non hardened pushrod

Potential Tuner
    absolute night and day difference! idles in park and drive just fine! plenty of chop lol. i will definitely take you up on those pushrods and would like to discuss remote tuning as well. whats the best way to do all this?

Advanced Tuner
    You can PM me here, or even better would be email.
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    i just emailed you myself, [email protected]... looking for help with my durango and idle problems as well.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by durangoRTRob View Post
    i just emailed you myself, [email protected]... looking for help with my durango and idle problems as well.
    Just replied

Tuner
    Did you guys get everything straight? The pushrod sizes should be 6.775" and 8.075". And Im not exactly sure why some can log exhaust cam angle and others go blank. Im starting to think it's got something to do with how certain settings are set in the engine diagnostic category but can't say for sure yet...
    2016 Ram CCSB Forged NA 396ci Stroker
    +2.5cc Flat/Dome Mahle Power-Pak Forged Pistons w/13.2/1 CR on E85
    Forged Manley 4.05" Stroke Crank/Speed Master Valvetrain
    Race Ported Eagles/Titanium 2.12"/Titanium 1.62" Valves
    Custom Cam 235/249 .629/.629 111LSA 110ICL+1Adv
    Ported Holley Hi-Ram Intake/NXpress Hi-Ram NO2 Plate kit w/250 Shot(4 sec)
    Tx Spd 2" Long Tubes/Active Viper Hood/2-Step
    ATI SD w/15% UD/Dual 450 Pumps/Fuel Cell in Bed/Demon 700cc Inj
    3800 stall/Det Tru-Trac/410 Gears