Thread: Question about MAP readings and aftermarket CAI/ and TB

Tuner in Training

Question about MAP readings and aftermarket CAI/ and TB

Hey everyone, I've been data logging recently and compared my MAP readings at wot (5k to 6k) rpm on a '15 Jeep SRT using the stock air box and throttle body compared to AFE momentum intake and a larger throttle body.

The stock setup showed a minimum of 114kpa at 6k compared to 116kpa on the aftermarket setup.

Can I conclude that these aftermarket mods are barely doing anything? I thought there would be a bigger difference.

Cheers,

Advanced Tuner
    You can conclude that.
    CAI and TBs don't do much until you need them

Quote Originally Posted by malamri424 View Post
    Hey everyone, I've been data logging recently and compared my MAP readings at wot (5k to 6k) rpm on a '15 Jeep SRT using the stock air box and throttle body compared to AFE momentum intake and a larger throttle body.

The stock setup showed a minimum of 114kpa at 6k compared to 116kpa on the aftermarket setup.

Can I conclude that these aftermarket mods are barely doing anything? I thought there would be a bigger difference.

Cheers,
    Cold Air Intakes can be an Odd thing, on the newer cars/trucks they are only worth what you found 2 maybe 4 increases in KPA, My daughters Rumble bee the K&N cold air kit helped it achieve 100KPA as early as 3k RPMS in lets say 90% and up pedal , while the stock air box restricted it to 94/96 in that area , WOT it only gained 1 KPA @ 5700+(99 vs100) but intake manifold temps dropped by as much as 10F in similar situations.

Logs and Draggy showed a 2mph gain,

These two screen shots were taken during a track rental , same truck 04 5.7 RCSB 4x2 , stock tune 105K mile truck (4750 test weight) had a valve job 3 weeks prior. We did 5 passes with the OEM air box and K&N filter, then another 5 passes with a K&N cold air Intake system... may not seem like much , but on average it was a 2MPH gain, this capture show a 2MPH gain at the same RPM, the K&NCAI used Less timing, Less Injector duty, More KPA less total airflow..............In simple terms it leaned this 04 out a little. average was 14.95@ 90MPH with the stock box, and 14.70@92MPH with the K&N CAI , that's roughly 18HP .

once I had good base to start with , we found another 2.5MPH and ran 4 back to back 14.35@94/95MPH for a total of 35-40HP gain over the stock air box..

Side Note , the Vararam for the 09 and Up Rams , can be tuned for some rather EYE OPENING results.

For the most part "cold air" intakes don't help out MAP reads all that much, their benefits are more in lowering Intake Temps and straighten air flow...streamlining, making it less turbulent... which helps in Power gain , Bigger TBs , Polished TBs aren't much help in-till you do some tuning....Odd I know .... read this Thread here (https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Throttle-Body )

Now A Larger TB and Cold air Intake are part of the foundation you can build on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rays04gtx View Post
    Cold Air Intakes can be an Odd thing, on the newer cars/trucks they are only worth what you found 2 maybe 4 increases in KPA, My daughters Rumble bee the K&N cold air kit helped it achieve 100KPA as early as 3k RPMS in lets say 90% and up pedal , while the stock air box restricted it to 94/96 in that area , WOT it only gained 1 KPA @ 5700+(99 vs100) but intake manifold temps dropped by as much as 10F in similar situations.

Logs and Draggy showed a 2mph gain,

These two screen shots were taken during a track rental , same truck 04 5.7 RCSB 4x2 , stock tune 105K mile truck (4750 test weight) had a valve job 3 weeks prior. We did 5 passes with the OEM air box and K&N filter, then another 5 passes with a K&N cold air Intake system... may not seem like much , but on average it was a 2MPH gain, this capture show a 2MPH gain at the same RPM, the K&NCAI used Less timing, Less Injector duty, More KPA less total airflow..............In simple terms it leaned this 04 out a little. average was 14.95@ 90MPH with the stock box, and 14.70@92MPH with the K&N CAI , that's roughly 18HP .

once I had good base to start with , we found another 2.5MPH and ran 4 back to back 14.35@94/95MPH for a total of 35-40HP gain over the stock air box..

Side Note , the Vararam for the 09 and Up Rams , can be tuned for some rather EYE OPENING results.

For the most part "cold air" intakes don't help out MAP reads all that much, their benefits are more in lowering Intake Temps and straighten air flow...streamlining, making it less turbulent... which helps in Power gain , Bigger TBs , Polished TBs aren't much help in-till you do some tuning....Odd I know .... read this Thread here (https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Throttle-Body )

Now A Larger TB and Cold air Intake are part of the foundation you can build on.
    I really appreciate the input.
    Now with your numbers, I really want to look at the effect on AFR, IAT, and spark advance.
    Thanks