Thread: Reading PCM from a donor PCM

Reading PCM from a donor PCM

Hi there, let me know if I can do this safely w/o causing any damage.

I have a 2020 6.4 charger... I just bought a used PCM from a 2020 5.7 challenger. I will be sending in the used PCM from the challeneger for unlocking to be used in my 6.4 charger.

The donor PCM (from challenger) I want to know if I can plug it into my charger and perform a PCM read so that I can have that stock file in my archive for comparisons later down the line. As long as I do not start the charger with the challenger PCM... can I obtain an accurate read file from it?

Then return my OEM 6.4 pcm back and drive the car like notihing ever happened?

Thanks. I would like to obtain the read file from it before it gets deleted forever.

Tuner in Training
    Hey, If your wanting to keep the tune for the 5.7 just plug it in without starting and do a quick pcm download. At least it worked on my 2012 Challenger 5.7 to 6.4 swap but I'm not 100% sure on the 2020. Honestly unless you really really needed the 5.7 tune I would not risk it for a tune that had nothing to do with the 392.

You absolutely cannot do that. HP Tuners will unlock a pcm ONLY for which Operating Systems match from Donor to replacement. If you simply read out the tune from the Donor pcm and send that in which is not going to work anyway, even if it does work, you will get a no start and it will be in theft mode unless you change the VIN in the pcm and retrain the keys with the 5 digit code. Too much going on behind the scenes to go wrong. HP Tuners will unlock JTAG style or similar and nothing further. They do not program operating systems. Been down this road before. Its a lot of lost time. If the pcm part numbers do match at least by the sticker on the outside of them, you may go get an official flash from a dealer in the car you want it to be in. Then only you can read it out and send it in for unlocking. Don't worry about your bypass cable being in there during an official flash either, doesn't matter. HP Tuners really needs to update their PCM Unlock page.

Quote Originally Posted by christianreid22 View Post
    Hi there, let me know if I can do this safely w/o causing any damage.

I have a 2020 6.4 charger... I just bought a used PCM from a 2020 5.7 challenger. I will be sending in the used PCM from the challeneger for unlocking to be used in my 6.4 charger.

The donor PCM (from challenger) I want to know if I can plug it into my charger and perform a PCM read so that I can have that stock file in my archive for comparisons later down the line. As long as I do not start the charger with the challenger PCM... can I obtain an accurate read file from it?

Then return my OEM 6.4 pcm back and drive the car like notihing ever happened?

Thanks. I would like to obtain the read file from it before it gets deleted forever.
    Short answer ......NO
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

Potential Tuner
    Get a spare C1 connector from a junk yard and ODB2 connector. Hook it up with using DIYHEMI.COM's GPEC2 intel pinouts. https://www.diyhemi.com/hemi-intel
    Pins 52-53-72 ground, Pin 96 +12v, Pin 23 key-on 12v, Pin 57 Canbus C+, Pin 33 Canbus C-

ODB2 Connector PIN 16- +12V, Pin 4 ground, Pin 6 Canbus+, Pin 14 Canbus-.

Here is my video on the older PCM on how I made my reader device. https://youtu.be/WwgVNtBHQog?t=317

DIYHemi also shows how to remove SKIM on their youtube channel.
    Last edited by ShelbyDogg; 12-16-2022 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Added info

Advanced Tuner
    You can read it without hurting anything. I just read a Redeye pcm using my 16 shaker. Read it and it will tell you what os is in it. I have a spare 6.4 btw

Advanced Tuner
    What are you trying to accomplish? If you want to read the 5.7 file just to save it, you should be fine doing that.
    If you're trying to use the 5.7 PCM for your 6.4, check with whoever is doing the unlock and make sure they can load the correct file to the PCM