Thread: How to control Mapped Points, when to disable some of them and which ones to keep etc

Senior Tuner

How to control Mapped Points, when to disable some of them and which ones to keep etc

Pretty sure Ive narrowed down a logged misfire on cold start issue to car moving through odder MP than normal (cold air intake, 2018 manifold with IMRC and adapter pigtails only mods) I guess with MAF needing so much tweaking in airflow its running it weighted much differently in MPs

To simplify it what MP should you keep, without limiting cam movement from optimal, and what is needed with snap to point, snap to line settings (Im used to one cam not two of these things)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Advanced Tuner
    I stole a page from roush’s book and feel pretty good about only using 5 mapped points: disabled/neutral, idle, cruise, op top end, and op midrange. With imrc this would be more like 8 or 9.

Is there a reason you don't have RPM in your monitored channels?

Senior Tuner
    Because i like to guess LOL. Accidently deleted channel when i took that log
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I stole a page from roush’s book and feel pretty good about only using 5 mapped points: disabled/neutral, idle, cruise, op top end, and op midrange. With imrc this would be more like 8 or 9.
    Did you keep the snap to point active? I read in one older thread to turn it off.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JST4FN View Post
    Did you keep the snap to point active? I read in one older thread to turn it off.
    I disable all snap points and created snap lines between all the points I described above. It should always stay on a point or line between two mapped points. This simplifies tuning a lot.

That said, I've been conteplating copying a Mercedes strategy, where you basically just have 4 enabled mapped points representing the 4 corners of a rectangle: -20/30, 30/30, 30/0, and -20/0. Isolate and calibrate each of these 4 points. Then create mapped points at any operating positions you want and disable them, but still command them in the distance tables and transfer arrays. This will still send the cams where you want them, but will only use interpolation of the 4 enabled points for calibration data. It could simplify tuning and also get rid of any choppy mapped point transitions. The downside is that there may be places on the calibration map where a weighted average of the 4 corners isn't accurate enough.

Tuner in Training
    I disable all snap points and created snap lines between all the points I described above. It should always stay on a point or line between two mapped points. This simplifies tuning a lot.

That said, I've been conteplating copying a Mercedes strategy, where you basically just have 4 enabled mapped points representing the 4 corners of a rectangle: -20/30, 30/30, 30/0, and -20/0. Isolate and calibrate each of these 4 points. Then create mapped points at any operating positions you want and disable them, but still command them in the distance tables and transfer arrays. This will still send the cams where you want them, but will only use interpolation of the 4 enabled points for calibration data. It could simplify tuning and also get rid of any choppy mapped point transitions. The downside is that there may be places on the calibration map where a weighted average of the 4 corners isn't accurate enough.
    I'd be interested to see how that works out. Right now I'm building my base tune with 6-7 MP's. I'm going to look at it more and see if I can drop 1-2 more MP's. I've left them in their original MP position and disabled the ones I'm not using. However I'm considering moving them to MP's 0-6, but that means swapping all the data for spark, torque, SD, distant tables etc... It would keep all the data together for both programming and logging. The GEN2 Roush file I have uses MP's in the 14-26 range, which is what I am doing (just less points) since I have a GEN2. However the GEN3 Roush file I have uses MP 0-6 and it's easier to follow through the arrays and distant tables. My only concern is missing an item that needs to be changed and fighting issues.

Advanced Tuner
    any update on this mike?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_91 View Post
    any update on this mike?
    Been running like this for at least a year. It works great! I’ve done 3 other cars like this as well and the owners are happy.

Advanced Tuner
    Been running like this for at least a year. It works great! I’ve done 3 other cars like this as well and the owners are happy.
    i may have to mess around with this a bit

Advanced Tuner
    "I disable all snap points and created snap lines between all the points I described above."

Can you give an example of this?

Say you are using map points 10 13 15 17 19 would you run the line as I just typed or would you run 10-13, 10-15, 10-17, 10-19

would you then also run 13-10, 13-15 ect??

or would you do it another way.

Advanced Tuner
    It depends on the location and “flow” of your cam angles. Originally I just had snap lines going with the flow. 0,0 to 0,20 to 30,30 to 5,10 to -20,15. As load and speed increase it follows snap lines from point to point. Then I learned that small lag in cam angles would cause it to go from 20,0 to 5,15 on aggressive tip in, so I added one there. Technically you don’t need it though because it will just average them all when in no-man’s land.