Thread: Data display: Distance to Finish Line rather than from the start?

Potential Tuner

Data display: Distance to Finish Line rather than from the start?

Hi Guys,

Had a quick search on the forum and couldn't find a thread dealing with this...

Is there a way to create a display object that displays distance in a reverse manner, i.e counting down to the finish line?

Data file is .fit from a garmin device so I presume distance is based on calculation from GPS coordinates....

From the Racerender documentation the only mention that I found which hints at what I want is:

"Embedded Image objects allow a still image to be embedded into your project, rather than being dynamically linked to an image file on your computer. They can be displayed normally, flashing, or can optionally be rendered based on a data input file. A selected data field can be mapped to certain parameters for rendering the embedded image, such as: image show/hide, rotation, transparency, brightness, and color hue. This can be used to display indicator icons, rotate a compass image based on the vehicle's heading, and more. The data mapping can also be flipped by simply setting the Min value to the larger number and Max to the lower number."

I tried (what i think is meant by) the above by creating a new embedded image object and inputting distance as the data field and under display object properties reversing the range but then data field just disappeared altogether....

If such a feature isn't already a clickable feature within racerender, I guess having a second data input file with calculated distance reversed would the the last resort option?

thanks for any help/thoughts....

Advanced Tuner
    I see calculated "(Distance into Lap)" and "(Distance into Lap ft)" fields, but unfortunately, I don't see a way to get the total distance of a lap from the outset.

If there's a way that you could modify the input file to contain a column for the total distance per lap in a given column, then you could pretty easily create an Enhanced Display Object that subtracts the current distance (either through a field in the data file or through the calculated distance in meters or feet) from the total distance and displays that value.

You could pretty easily subtract the distance from 0 to get a negative distance at any given frame within a lap, but that won't be helpful unless you know the total distance of the lap.

There are functions for determining the total time of the given lap, but not the total distance unfortunately.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks HoboBob, good to know I hadn't missed some preset function, I've managed to modify the data file to give the distance to finish...