Thread: How can I zoom/crop my main video?

Potential Tuner

How can I zoom/crop my main video?

Hi there!

I would like to zoom/crop my main front facing footage. I try to use the 'Edit Clipping Area' tool and click zoom:

https://monosnap.com/file/H2O4eHC4N8...13wZ3Zq9Pylida

That works fine. But then it doesn't fill the space back in the main screen:

https://monosnap.com/file/JkgGtDWNyh...bnY9IHC3xYVCnT

I've tried every setting in the front video setting, like LARGER etc but it will not grow. Surely this is possible?

https://monosnap.com/file/vvMBeAyRpj...KpB9rPPuXjE9Tl

Advanced Tuner
    It appears that RaceRender cannot zoom in more than whatever is clipped. You can clip the video such that you don't show the bits that you don't want to display, but I can't find a way to zoom in further than the full extent of the video.

Perhaps it would be better to first feed your video into a separate video editing software to clip the video and "zoom in" the video such that the clipped area is the only visible area in the output video. This thread details a few video editor options that might work.

RaceRender is particularly helpful if you have video that is ready to be directly overlaid with numerical data exactly as it comes in, but it isn't really a full suite of video editing tools; it's designed to overlay data on top of an existing video exactly as it is intended to be displayed. Assuming that you don't require GPS data from the input video, a second step of rendering the video in a true video editor would allow you to use RaceRender as intended.

Potential Tuner
    That is a great shame as it's not a particularly complex feature. They already have the cropping tools which are great, it would just be stretching a smaller video to fill the project resolution. How often is RaceRender updated and do they listen to feedback from here?

Advanced Tuner
    Prior to 2020, it seemed like it was updated every few months, but I haven't seen any official updates since then... They had talked about several features from the forums that they wanted to implement, but I'm not sure of the status of those plans now... Hopefully we can get some official word here soon.

I am thankful that there is so much customization within RaceRender. I can work around most issues, and I can clean looking videos with overlays that look nearly exactly how I want. I do recognize that many people don't have the programming skills to make that work for them though; so I try to help out with as many requests as I can on the forums so that hopefully HPTuners will recognize that there's still a large following that uses this product and that it's worth maintaining.

Tuner in Training
    I think I read in the forums that the main developer left. If they can't manage to find a replacement then this is likely a dead product.