Thread: Android 14 Pooched File Access

Tuner in Training

Android 14 Pooched File Access

Did Android 14 somehow screw up TA file permissions?

I am configured for "external" storage within TA.

When I navigate to /Android/data the directory com.hptuners.trackaddict is not there.

Browsing files in TA shows the 2.5 hr session exists so the files are there... just something about Android 14?

I updated yesterday only because I got tired of the nag - I should know better. It was working fine last weekend.

I tried mounting the phone on my Linux and Mac boxes. No joy.

Ideas? Dev help or am I doing something boneheaded all of a sudden?

Tuner in Training
    As expected, same story on Windows (v10). Directory does not exist.

Tuner in Training
    For anyone that stumbles over this - "Cx File Explorer" was able to "correct" the permissions and access the /Android/data/com.hptuners.trackaddict directory as a work around for now. Still not visible in other remote file managers like Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, or KDE Dolphin.

Advanced Tuner
    Last update to android Track Addict was July 2022. Unfortunately I think Weston left HPTuners and this app hasn't really been updated or kept up with. Not sure if there has really been a full time replacement.

Tuner in Training
    So, is TrackAddict considered an 'end-of-life' product then? Is there a better, affordable way to get data into RaceRender?

Tuner in Training
    So, trying to get at my files again and it is borked again. Looking at media reports Google is having problems with Andorid 14 storage and a patch is coming. Android is such a dumpster fire and Apple is such a locked down device. <insert eternal sigh here>

Really, really wished I stayed on Android 13.

Anyone have tips on creating a RaceRender capture device that runs on Linux so we can avoid all this BS?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by reece146 View Post
    So, trying to get at my files again and it is borked again. Looking at media reports Google is having problems with Andorid 14 storage and a patch is coming. Android is such a dumpster fire and Apple is such a locked down device. <insert eternal sigh here>

Really, really wished I stayed on Android 13.

Anyone have tips on creating a RaceRender capture device that runs on Linux so we can avoid all this BS?
    It seems like a motivated developer/hobbyist could probably solve this with either a Raspberry PI or an Arduino. In the end, the GPS data that you're capturing is a relatively simple format. Reading OBD/CANBUS data is where the challenge really is but, I'm sure there's a spec out there for it if you can get the Bluetooth feed/USB serial feed figured out. All it needs to do is dump it into a CSV which you could then read in RR.

I'm not that guy though.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RT-BRZ View Post
    It seems like a motivated developer/hobbyist could probably solve this with either a Raspberry PI or an Arduino. In the end, the GPS data that you're capturing is a relatively simple format. Reading OBD/CANBUS data is where the challenge really is but, I'm sure there's a spec out there for it if you can get the Bluetooth feed/USB serial feed figured out. All it needs to do is dump it into a CSV which you could then read in RR.
    Agree. I mean, it's just OBD CSV and video with matching time stamps, right? <he said optimistically without actually looking at the files being loaded into RaceRender in the past>

I should take a poke at it. I do have RPIs and CAN bus hats lying around for some other stuff I've been working on.

Edit: looking at the resources/documentation there really is not much to the CSV file. I should take a swing at making something. Always disliked using a phone anyway.
    Last edited by reece146; 11-08-2023 at 10:45 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Agree. I mean, it's just OBD CSV and video with matching time stamps, right? <he said optimistically without actually looking at the files being loaded into RaceRender in the past>

I should take a poke at it. I do have RPIs and CAN bus hats lying around for some other stuff I've been working on.

Edit: looking at the resources/documentation there really is not much to the CSV file. I should take a swing at making something. Always disliked using a phone anyway.
    I've looked at the CSV file before and it's relatively straightforward. My background is IT Infrastructure so coding isn't really my thing. Handling the inputs seems like it wouldn't logically be too tough. Aggregation of the feeds from things like GPS/Accelerometer and CANBUS might be slightly tougher but then again, they already do this with Track Addict.

Advanced Tuner
    What kind of car are you guys using? If it's newer UDS stuff I might be able to point you to some projects to help get a head start

Tuner in Training
    I have a bunch of cars of various vintages. Currently working with the NA Miata (1996) and it has very rudimentary ODBII data. The newest car that we mess with is a 2016 GTI that my wife autocrosses.

I'd appreciate the links if you don't mind forwarding.

At some point I'll be switching the NA Miata and my AW11 MR2 to Megasquirt and using the ability to generate CAN signalling to create custom gauges and headunits. That's what the aforementioned RPI hats are about.

Tuner in Training
    Google "security update" last night did nothing to help getting access to the trackaddict files on the Pixel 7.

If you root a Pixel 7 does it wipe the file systems?

Don't see the files using adb shell either.
    Last edited by reece146; 11-14-2023 at 09:38 AM.

Tuner in Training
    If would be great if someone from HPTuners would hop into this thread and give us an idea of whether TrackAddict will ever be maintained again.

Potential Tuner
    For anyone that stumbles over this - "Cx File Explorer" was able to "correct" the permissions and access the /Android/data/com.hptuners.trackaddict directory as a work around for now. Still not visible in other remote file managers like Windows Explorer, Mac Finder, or KDE Dolphin.
    I tried this and only see two directories in /Android/data. One is for Cx File Explorer, and the other is for Google Maps. I know there are other directories there and can see them when plugged into my computer, but still can't see the TrackAddict directory.

I too am not able to see the com.hptuners.trackaddict in file explorer on Windows 10 coming from Android 14. Would love an easy workaround as I have a bunch of files tied up that I can't access.

I was able to transfer one session to my laptop via WiFi transfer but now when trying to render a 15 minute session, it'll save only the first 3 minutes of the video. Very frustrating

Hi,
    We attempted to replicate it and encountered no such issues. Based on our investigation, it is could be the issue (called Storage Bug) stems from an Android OS update, and Google has recently issued a fix for it through a patch.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnell@HPTuners View Post
    Hi,
    We attempted to replicate it and encountered no such issues. Based on our investigation, it is could be the issue (called Storage Bug) stems from an Android OS update, and Google has recently issued a fix for it through a patch.
    The storage bug is an issue that is almost like ransomware where data is not recoverable. We know the data is there because we can see it in the TrackAddict app.

I think I have a permanent easier way to get around this:

Can the TrackAddict devs add automatic data backup to Google Driver? With this feature, the user doesn't have ever worry about having access, backing up, or recovering their data. It also allows the user to log into Google Drive and grab the appropriate CSV data file at their leisure.

Yes, that's a feature request and it would be amazing. Thank you!

Potential Tuner
    android 14 been ok for me.. something wrong with the live telmetry tho. did 14 break it?