Thread: Sucking oil cause a lean condition?

Sucking oil cause a lean condition?

I have a 99 Camaro (3.8), and I have an oil cooler on it, which is mounted on the radiator.

Recently, I have started having problems, and I also found that one of the fittings on the oil cooler is leaking, and the oil is getting sucked into the intake (It has a Whisper lid, and the oil is coming up underneath the airbox, in where the back tabs for the airlid are, and getting sucked in past the air filter seal).

The beginning of the problem is misfiring at WOT at lower altitude. Where I live is 2300ft, and up here, at WOT, it generally runs pretty good. However, when I go into the Central Valley (down to sea level), it will start misfiring at WOT. That problem started a while ago, and I have been working on figuring it out, but it has been getting progressively worse.

Recently, up here at home, I have started getting a Lean on both banks, and Cat Inefficient codes.

Lastly, I hooked the scanner up the other day, and when I start the engine up, the LTFTs pegged lean, but the STFTs are fine, they don't spike or anything. After several minutes, the LTFTs will settle down to where they should be.

Then, when I idle it up, the LTFTs will immediately peg again, the STFTs will stay in the normal limits (no spikes or anything), and after a couple of minutes the LTFTs will settle back down again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

Senior Tuner
    Oil sucked into the intake!! IAC, IAT sensor, Map sensor, MAF...bla bla bla... If you have oil on these sensors your car is gonna go for a loop. It will throw off all of your readings. Meaning, all the info your VCM is getting is skewed, killing your tune