Thread: Mpvi2 no longer works on jtec+b ecu

Potential Tuner

Mpvi2 no longer works on jtec+b ecu

HELLO, for more than a week I can no longer read or write on my 3 dodge ram srt10 with ecu jtec+b, baud rate: timed out. and the Vcm scanner does not want to erase the dtcs anymore.
    I opened a ticket but no response.
    I have a feeling this happened when they updated vcm for mpvi3 (jtec).

could someone please help me?

thx

I hope they did not shut down MPVI2, I bought one 3 months ago (and credits) because MPVI3 didn't support JTEC.

Potential Tuner
    I have a Jeep ZJ 5,9l and a MPVI3, and there was things that would work with 1996+ JTEC and MPVI2, MPVI2+ interface, that no longer work with MPVI3, from what I understand HPT development-manager are aware of the situation since the first complains in late 2022 a couple of days after the release of the product.
    The function that work /don?t work vary from car to car as it appears that not all the JTEC post 1996 (obd2) use the same programming? some Late JTEC such as 4.0 l use a mix ranging from pure CCD (Chrysler collision detection protocol) to a lot of canbus in 4,7l v8? and 5,2/5,9l V8 and V10 use a mix of both from what I understand?

Basically what used to work on MPVI2, now don?t work with MPVI3 because something in the firmware has been dropped/ there is a hardware compatibility issue with MPVI3 .

My feeling is that as long as it?s has something to do with canbus/CCD deal?

The issue is that most people who bought a MPVI3 are end user customers, when most of the MPVI original customers where performance shop with tech savy mechanics who knew what to fix and how to deal with this , and those would streamline the bug report to HPTuner who would try not to piss them off.

Those tuning shop uses to make a good money from their knowledge, and the MPVI base kit with pro function was expensive at the end, and only tuners offering a tuning service that they can bill to customers would spent the 1500$ of bench equipment, and long hour of training to educate themselves to offer custom tuning on each car?. Because they would charge the customer 800/1200/1500$ to ?tune a car? because they would know how to build a safe base tune to flash to a modified car, and then make a log of all sensors and modify the maps accordingly to do a real custom tune for every application?.

With the arrival of MPVI3 completely unlocked with pro function there is a very wide base of DIY customers (like me) who started thinking that the MPVI3 will allow them to do this exactly this with minimal help of knowledgeable person who where used to deal with bugs at a professional level?

But unfortunately being very universal and ?democratic? there is also a very wide array of people who bought the MPVI3 because it was sold as ?being compatible? when actually there are som bugs to sandbox on HPTuner software/hardware team on MPVI3?.

The only thing I know is that HPTUNER is aware from issue with data logging and tuning on 1996+ JTEC ECU , and they know they still have to do some homework to make the MPVI3 as versatile and powerful as a guenuine RBII or RBIII factory ECU programmer/diag tool as some function are specific to certain engines and not a lot of people have filled a complaint about it.
    Some function might simply not be viable economically to be implemented if they were not though after in the first place ?
    I give you and exemple : one of the most important functions of any diag/scan tool in magnum engine, is to be able to read/set a parameter that is called ?fuel sync??. Needed by the engine to know when to trigger a sequence of injection/ignition events? because you cannot set the distributor orientation with a strobe lamp, it has to be installed with visual marks within +/-8 degree and then set up close as possible to zero by turning the distributor when the engine is running at exactly 1000RPM to compensate for timming chain slack? because the events on the cran sensor, and the events on the distributor are sometimes out of phase or vary from several degree from the absolute crank position and the physical camshaft sensor position in the distributor?. In a 4 cylinder there?s enough degrees of timing within two ignition spark, but in a V8 or a V10 that has wasted spark with a conventional ?chain driven single camshaft gear driven distributor type ignition? that requires up to 40 degrees of timing advance to need emission and fuel economy of a modern car with a 40 year old technology V8 every ignition event happen in a 45 degree rotation of the crank shaft ? so it is critical if you want to keep using a v8 from the 60 with ?computer driven ignition? to have the distributor set within 4 degrees of precision if you don?t want the wrong cylinder to fire in wasted spark and detonated the intake?
    So like every engineering team would have done they fixed the problem of a poor original design because back one the 1960 when they designed those engine to work with point distributors and mechanical advance every gas station in the country had a guy who could change/set points and/or use a timming lamp ? and with very lumpy camshaft and poor fuel economy standards to meet, as long as the engine timing was within 4/5 degrees, the engine was considered as ?in tune? and most mechanics would just tune it by ear rotating the distributor until it sounded ?in tune?.

The Chrysler brains had to find a way to do ?like brand new? with what they had on shelf and when their boss told them to make a 1960 cast iron V8 to work as close as possible as a 1990 double overhead cam 16 valve Japanese or European engine, they said to their bosses : it already exist : it is a Italian 32 valve all aluminum V8 double overheads cam V8-V10 engine with 22 timing chain/sprocket pump derived from a down tuned formula one engine?. If you want a perfectly good accuracy and performance/fuel economy ratio , and creating such an engine would take us several year and billion of dollars in R&D?

Unless ?. we solve the problem by just making a tool that will read the position of the distributor within 1 degree of timing at the factory/garage that will accommodate from the poor original accuracy of all the play , and then make a computer compensate on the fly from 10 to 40 degree of timming depending on other sensors feedback to accommodate for timming chain slack , drive distributor drive gear wear, poor manufacturing tolerance etc?
    But ever time there is a maintenance on the distributor this ?fuel sync will need to be performed by the mechanics??

Boss of Chrysler back in the day that where on the verge of bankruptcy went : ?let?s do the second option , and keep using cheap poorly manufactured archaic design engine, down tune them , and call it a day, the customer will pay for the time of our mechanics to do that every time so this is not our problem.?

In the year 2000 when Mercedes Benz bought Chrysler and saw that, German engineer went : ?seriously? Das is nicht how a VEI archt motoren must functioneirt, SCHNELL put the very complicated 4,7 Liter double overhead cam aluminum block in das AUTO !!!! And only let Mercedes mechanic touch it and charge the customer 800$ every time he bring the car to the dealer to do an oil change, because they will check the very complicated timming and overly precise and fragile German timing system and put the absolute best synthetic 0-30 motor oil like in our 200 000? Mercedes luxurious sedan?.

And if the customer put Walmart or jiffy lube oil in a 80 dollar oil change, make sure that the timming chain tensioner will fail after 5 year or 150 000 miles with a catastrophic engine failure that require a 10000 dollar engine replacement not taking any warranty because you didn?t do the maintenance at Mercedes?

A properly maintained 4,7l V8 , inspected and maintained by competent Mercedes high end mechanics with the recommendations oil change and timing chain tensioner surveillance/replacement, and proper care following religiously the very expensive Mercedes preventive maintenance guide, will do over 250 000 miles with barely baby wear ?
    With no preventive maintenance and shity oil , the 4,7l V8 pentastar will auto destroy itself within 10 000 miles?.

So back at your question until HPTuner team decide that it is a very primordial task to fix all the JTEC support bugs on MPVI3, all you can do is either find a DBRIII emultor for classic maintenance/scanner, and use the MPVI3 to access a few supported functions,
    But don?t hope anything without people massively fill up complaints ticket ?

If there is only 10-13 folks who complain about a bug it?s not going to be their top priority, and it may be cheaper for them to tell them ?we are working on it? without doing so , and wait until people start really complaining and just say ?yeah nah sorry guys can?t be done, we thought we got it on MPVI2 but won?t happen on mpvi3, sorry guys! at best here is a 200$ refund because anyway sone of the functions of MPVI3 works because you have a registered credit showing that you have successfully connected the MPVI3 to the car and there is the proof : we have your VIN number in your credit registration?. So go f-yourself we are not going to spend several hour of our engineering team unless we have several hundred customers who bought the product and are complaining?. It?s just a financial decision?. No hard feeling to be have?

So basically until HPTuner decide to either say if they can?t/can make it happen or if they want to make it happen , the latest news about using a MPVI3 with a full support of JTEC like the MPVI2 is : not currently supported, no fucking clue if it?s possible or not, and no fucking clue about if they are in fact trying to investigate/ even have the time/will to fix it anytime soon?.

So people who want to buy a MPVI3 start to understand over forums like this that JTEC are not any more supported on MPVI3 like they were with MPVI 2, and give up, and the very few one who bought it trusting the list of supported vehicles, are just stuck hopping something will happens?.

So realistically until something like 50-100 people buy a MPVI3 to tune a 1996+ JTEC vehicle and several major HPTUNER professional guru specialized in Mopar tuning start to complain such as Flying Ryan Performance sart complaining, HP TUNER will not loose sleep over refunding a dozen of customers partially telling them to kindly fuck off?.

It is very infuriating as a customer, because we feel scammed because we bought a product that was once in it?s previous iterations perfectly functional, and sold to us in its current iteration as ?compatible?, when it is not totally anym, and while we surely not represent the biggest demographic on their customers?

So all we can hope is a serious information if yes or no they will fix it and when, or that enough people will buy it and complain so they will HAVE to do something about it?
    Last options is to wait until they get up to speed in development and decide to put time and effort to fix this in order to sell more units being advertised as ?100% compatible and functional??

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilR/T View Post
    I hope they did not shut down MPVI2, I bought one 3 months ago (and credits) because MPVI3 didn't support JTEC.
    how can they shut down something that works independent of the internet?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    how can they shut down something that works independent of the internet?

Forced firmware updates.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.