Thread: 'you cannot place this segment before the first timeline segment'

Potential Tuner

'you cannot place this segment before the first timeline segment'

new user, please help. i am rendering my first video. i used the synchronization tool to show video from 6 to 8.5 minutes running time in the video. before it will let me add track map and speedometer display objects, it asks me "enter the time in the project for this display object's new timeline segment." whether i enter 01 to 2:25 or 6:01 to 8:25 or the reverse, 2:25 - 01 or 8:25-6:01, i get the above error code. what am i doing wrong?

Advanced Tuner
    I typically don't try to synchronize the main video to anything else: I always leave the video alone and synchronize the data (and any secondary video) to the main video. You can use the Green and Red flag buttons down by the time in the bottom right to set a start and end time for the output video. So, it's a bit different than a standard video editor where you would typically try to make the timeline look exactly like what you want the output to be. Here, you can just set the start and finish and render only the portion that you care about.

It sounds like moving the video around may have altered the internal timeline for the data, and adding a Display Object for the data is causing issues. Maybe try synchronizing the data to the video instead? Or if simply extracting data from a GoPro video (or similar) then you should be able to just navigate to 6 minutes and click the Green Flag button, and start adding a track map, etc.

One other note: I always use the Side by Side synchronization since that seems to be much more intuitive to me. My data and video tends to be fairly closely aligned, and the Side by Side view allows me to bump the data a few frames in either direction pretty easily.