Thread: Ford EEC-IV Taurus SHO tuning help

Ford EEC-IV Taurus SHO tuning help

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to start tuning an SHO. Trust me, there is a demand. I've seen the sctuner but I don't like the idea of spending that kind of money just to have that emulator. I'd rather just use craigs flash prom adaptor and burn. What kind of software do I need?

Re: Ford EEC-IV Taurus SHO tuning help

Check the other post in this thread.. theres some info in there. Ford was nice enough to make the computer alot easier to tune than GM. I haven't really checked any of the stuff out since I don't own any Fords yet (where's my Mach I!) but it looks like there is several ways to tune the EEC IV. Also there are plug in modules from Hypertech and that but you get the usual stuff.. shift point changes, raise RPM, etc. You dont get a whole lot of tuning for other areas.

Check out the other post and let us know if it helped for what you needed. If not I will go a searchin.. ;D

What module does the SHO use?
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

It uses the x2j. There isn't a lot of info out there for the SHO. I'm just trying to find software to edit everything and burn it to an eprom using Craig Moates $70 hardware. There is already a chip and a tuner but the tuner is $540 (ScTuner) and it comes with software and a romulator of sorts. I don't need nore do I want that hardware, just the software. Besides, I think $540 is a little crazy. Maybe $300 but not $540.
    I just got word from my friend that the "LPM" which is an aftermarket plug in for the SHO, has a 1024k eprom (27C010). The ScTuner binary files used for the SHO is only 56k! When you save the file it turns into a gui (ScTuner is weird) and that file is only 26k?!?!?! I'm pretty lost now. If I can get a hold of a dump from the LPM I might be able to do a hex file compare and find the locations. I don't WANT to do this but it seems like the only solution to a poor college student.

ahh.. soon you'll be pulling out your hair.. just like the rest of us ;D

I'll look around some this weekend and see if there's anything I can find
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

What is the 4 digit code maybe I can help ya out.
    2nd Place is the first looser by the way who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk anyways.

Potential Tuner

Hi Jon. I too have a Ford Taurus, it's a 1997 GL though. I've been in the same boat as you for a while, it all started when I figured out superchips wanted $130 to reflash for extra mods! Craig and I have been talking back and forth for a while now. And he's using Andrew March's design of the EECSuckas and the J3 adaptors. He's a good guy and lemme tell you he's making very little if at all anything on that J3 adaptor he sold you. I too am a poor college student, and $70 is waaay too much for me to afford at this time too, which is why I etched the EEC-V sucka myself using the Toner Transfer method for free! I need to get the silkscreen layer from Craig so I know which parts go where, cuz I'm too lazy to look at the J3 header and trace from there So I have yet to "suck" a bin off my NXZ1 too. But from there I really have NO clue on editing because the code will not be in any organized fashion. I've heard everything from 1.) Change random data and see what it effects, to 2.) Fords bins follow patterns in tables and those are what to look for.

Option 2 makes a lot more sense, but since my hard drive crash I lost all contacts of those who told me of this option and were willing to look at my bin. Option 1 I think is doable because I have an obd-2 vehicle explorer, so I could just log my PID's and see if anything has changed. Good luck man, oh and I just found this site now when looking up some Ford SCP J1850 info for my EET 483 networking with microcontrollers course presentation. Cool site. Finally a message forum option of all the mailing lists out there!!

Tom

Potential Tuner

Tuning the Taurus is no different than and other Ford product. I have done Cougars, TBirds and Mustangs so far.
    You need an EEC-Tuner, get the basic product from the the Tuner manufacturer Shiftmasters or buy a used one which go for around $150 max.
    A GUI software package to drive this is freeware on the web at guieectuner.com. The Pro version will cost $50. I would suggest getting the Pro version as this will 'encourage' DP to get you the .dat file.
    You will need the .dat file for your strategy which is used as an overlay to point to the correct addresses in the ROM binaries.
    Now all you need is the bank1 and bank8 ROM binaries which you can download from Your EEC-V using the EEC-Tuner, load them into GUIEECTUNER ( after you have loaded in the .dat file ) and hack away at the callibration tables.
    When you save the file to download only the changes are saved and this is due to the way the EEC-Tuner works.
    When you turn the key on in an EEC-Tuner equipped car, the Tuner downloads the ROM that is in the EEC and then overlays your changes ( which you have downloaded to the EEC-Tuner's flash memory ) and uses the resultant to run your car.

Winston.

Potential Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by tleser
    Hi Jon. I too have a Ford Taurus, it's a 1997 GL though. I've been in the same boat as you for a while, it all started when I figured out superchips wanted $130 to reflash for extra mods! Craig and I have been talking back and forth for a while now. And he's using Andrew March's design of the EECSuckas and the J3 adaptors. He's a good guy and lemme tell you he's making very little if at all anything on that J3 adaptor he sold you. I too am a poor college student, and $70 is waaay too much for me to afford at this time too, which is why I etched the EEC-V sucka myself using the Toner Transfer method for free! I need to get the silkscreen layer from Craig so I know which parts go where, cuz I'm too lazy to look at the J3 header and trace from there So I have yet to "suck" a bin off my NXZ1 too. But from there I really have NO clue on editing because the code will not be in any organized fashion. I've heard everything from 1.) Change random data and see what it effects, to 2.) Fords bins follow patterns in tables and those are what to look for.

Option 2 makes a lot more sense, but since my hard drive crash I lost all contacts of those who told me of this option and were willing to look at my bin. Option 1 I think is doable because I have an obd-2 vehicle explorer, so I could just log my PID's and see if anything has changed. Good luck man, oh and I just found this site now when looking up some Ford SCP J1850 info for my EET 483 networking with microcontrollers course presentation. Cool site. Finally a message forum option of all the mailing lists out there!!

Tom

I did not bother with the Sucka or son of Sucka, I built a Grandson of Sucka using a PIC 16F877 and it works fine.

If you have the ROM binaries, you can try the CDAN4.dat file and the shareware off the web to see how you like it.

Winston.